PDA

View Full Version : Hiccup

PH4
11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Have had this problem since I have owned it. Hiccups is the best way I can describe it sometimes under accerlation. Enough to feel like drive train slackens and then tightens again. Think it has to be engine. Just put in new head gasket, water pump, and complet exhaust system. Any ideas? Carb? No ryhme or reason to it. One day fine next day not so fine.

scott
11-05-2007, 12:11 AM
short in the dizzy. mabe a loose or old ground wire.

PH4
11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
What is the Dizzy? Distributor? How would you go about checking. Probably a very rudimentary question but never done this before.

CliftonRover
11-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I would check the fuel pump, mine cuts out is I run it had for a few hours on the highway and then slow down. I carry an electric fuel pump bolted on to the fire wall next to the mechanical pump just in case the mechanical one dies. I also had that problem initially after a rebuild when I forget to ground the engine. Check the points after as you might have cooked them.

scott
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
What is the Dizzy? Distributor? How would you go about checking. Probably a very rudimentary question but never done this before.

dizzy = distributor. there's a small wire, ~2" long that grounds the deck, usually where the condesor is screw to and the other end to the inside of outer body of the distributor. if this ground is intermitant the your points will fail intermitant and could cause momentary loss of hp which could cause lack of force on the drive train which could cause hiccups. but that failing fuel pump is also a good theory