PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

siii8873
11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm getting ready to put my 1973 SIII rover on the road. What would anyone recommend for insurance. I'm thinking of getting classic car insurance but not sure where to shop for it or if there is any problem getting it for this type of vehicle. Thoughts?

jac04
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I had my Rover insured through Hagerty. Their rates are very reasonable.

jp-
11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
State Farm, $12 a month. Antique car rate, max annual milege must be below 5000.

Bostonian1976
11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I have Hagerty - 89 bucks a year

sayers
11-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Hagerty is the way to go, I also have mind with them. Just had to send in a photo and answer some questions. It is very easy and the rates are easy on the wallet.

PH4
11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Are the rates you are quoting including Collision and theft?

Bostonian1976
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Are the rates you are quoting including Collision and theft?

yes- you can't get a quote without comprehensive from them...

CliftonRover
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Will they insure a 19 year old driver? Can you get a plan that has more than 5000 miles in a year?

chester rides again
11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Hagerty won't allow you to use the vehicle as a daily driver -

My insurance company, AMICA, had me contact their antique car affiliate and I was told that in addition to not being able to use the car as a commuter, I was not able to take the truck off road, haul anything with it, I must keep it in a locked garage, and can only drive 2,500 miles a year. There was an additional list of requirements for the $100 per year premium, but I said no thanks, I bought this truck to drive it.

I am now working on getting Rovers North to help me appraise the car for its replacement value and make sure I have suitable insurance coverage. $450 a year is well worth it.

Jeff

Linus Tremaine
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
doesnt haggarty require the vehicle to be garaged?

ajones
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I had Haggerty and I do believe they require the locked garage, no daily driver etc. So, I switched my '64 SIIA over to USAA for $20 a month and get to use it however I please. Got the multi-car discount, very pleased, as always with USAA.

chester rides again
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
this is my big concern now - how much will the insurance company pay if your truck is wrecked? :eek: i purchased my truck for under $10,000 and have 3 times that in receipts from the complete restoration.

anyone have any experience with a wrecked series truck and insurance companies? a cheap yearly rate doesn't mean squat if you don't get any money to get repair/replace it.

i going to have RN appraise it a.s.a.p.

Jim-ME
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I have regular AAA insurance and my Rover is currently registered as an antique in Maine. It is only insured for liability with no collision. I pay $181 per year for that coverage. If I wanted collision i would need to send pictures, have it appraised etc. before they will insure it. Once I get it to the point I want it I may go that route but time will tell.
Jim

jp-
11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
this is my big concern now - how much will the insurance company pay if your truck is wrecked? :eek: i purchased my truck for under $10,000 and have 3 times that in receipts from the complete restoration.

anyone have any experience with a wrecked series truck and insurance companies? a cheap yearly rate doesn't mean squat if you don't get any money to get repair/replace it.

i going to have RN appraise it a.s.a.p.

No need for anything other than liability. The other guys car is going to lose. Unless you hit a tank.

Even if you smash a fender, you can order a new one for a few hundred and have it painted for as much.

ajones
11-09-2007, 02:40 PM
When I switched my rover over to USAA I asked them exactly that, if it is a total loss what will I get? They said save all your bills and have pictures and they willl compensate accordingly. Vague? Yes, but with USAA, I feel confident. Back when I was in the Navy my CO's Harley was stolen from his garage. He faxed the police report and they mailed him a check, just like that. My old man blew up the engine in his Wrangler crossin' a flooded creek to rescue my grandmother (she didn't want to leave her house) they mailed him a check for a brand new engine from the dealership. If you have the right insurer it should be fine.

highmile
02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I just called up USAA and insured the 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA.

The first time I called, I said I wanted to insure a classic vehicle. USAA transfered me to an affiliate that underwrites the classic car insurance stating that USAA does not offer "classic" car insurance directly. Luckily, nobody answered the phone at the "classic" insurance company.

I called USAA a second time and simply stated I needed to add insurance for an older vehicle. No problem. Now, I have liability only for $10/month.

Not sure what the "classic" car insurance would have been, but I bet it would be more money with restrictions on use of the Series.

Eric W S
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
State Farm underwrites just about anything. 59 goes on policy in 2 weeks. No restrictions whatsoever. It is a normal policy for them.

Have your agent endorse the policy for declared value and provide your receipts. If it is ever totalled, that will be your payout.

Buy the appropriate amount of insurance if your going to drive it regularly.

EwS

ducttape
02-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Hagerty won't allow you to use the vehicle as a daily driver -

My insurance company, AMICA, had me contact their antique car affiliate

I am now working on getting Rovers North to help me appraise the car for its replacement value and make sure I have suitable insurance coverage. $450 a year is well worth it.

Jeff

I've been with Amica since the mid 1980's or so. Not the cheapest on the block (and they were less than thrilled when I flipped my MINI Cooper http://davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/Cabriol/HB2/HB2.html) but they are fair and they do not nickel and dime everything.

I think I am in the mid $5's annually, less a 20% dividend at the end of the year (they are a mutual stock company) I can drive it all I want as it is a 'regular' vehicle.

While I probably won't put more than 5-6k miles on the truck, for the extra few hundred bucks I would personally prefer the choice of going where and when I want. $89 is ok IF you have your truck as driveway eye candy, but I prefer to use mine a little more than that.

I'm sure your regular insurance company will list it, and probably give you per centages off because you are listing a second or third vehicle.