PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Piece

Bostonian1976
11-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I've been trying to figure out what this piece could have possibly been used for - anyone have any ideas? There's a piece of wood neatly attached to the front of the tub in the station wagon - I really have no idea why it would be there. Anyone have any idea what its former use could have been?

Obviously nothing important, but I'm curious....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/1873059106_c042f291a4_o.jpg

CliftonRover
11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
That is where I mount my fire extinguisher and first aid kit

4flattires
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Are there hole drilled in it for something? How many?
Remove the wood, see it something rubbed underneath it.

The tub seems worn on that side. See retouched attachment.

My guess is that your rover transported that mystery alien I see advertised on the roadside billboards across the southwest titled...The THING?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sights/sightstory.php?tip_AttrId=%3D2023

I could be wrong....have been before. :o

Jeff

daveb
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I zoomed in on the board and noticed something else. I used photoshop to enhance what I saw. Open the attachment and zoom in for a closer look. This is amazing! Was this a Popemobile™, or perhaps Mother Teresa's Land Rover? Certainly it was never the Dalai Lama's!

Perhaps you should alert the Vatican :)

rgrds
Dave

Are there hole drilled in it for something? How many?
Remove the wood, see it something rubbed underneath it.

The tub seems worn on that side. See retouched attachment.

Jeff

minbari
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I zoomed in on the board and noticed something else. I used photoshop to enhance what I saw.

Wow, amazing what happens when you fix the white balance in a photo. I find this all the time with some of my photos. Automatic white balance never works right, you should always adjust afterwards for the actual lighting conditions! I see you correctly balanced for 2,200 k. If the Land Rover is a 67, it will match with its CRI rating!

LWB109
11-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by daveb
I zoomed in on the board and noticed something else. I used photoshop to enhance what I saw.

This goes along way in explaining the odd carbon 14 test results performed on the shroud some years ago.Nice work daveb!

4flattires
11-05-2007, 11:32 PM
It's late, I have to put up my triangle shaped, aluminum foil shielded, copper reinforced canopy over my bed to prevent others from stealing my thoughts during my slumber.

Good one Dave !

Seriously Bostonian, the wear patterns on the paint might lead you some conclusion, but it baffles me. I'm sure someone will chime in during the night.

Jeff

Bostonian1976
11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
yeah I really have no clue what it is! Looks like it's been there a long, long time - like he installed it when the truck was new for some purpose. There are no holes drilled in it but some sort of clip on the right side.

The wear in the paint - hmm are you guys talking about the floor? The floor is actually half wet - I had just washed the interior out (ain't' it pretty?) :)

BackInA88
11-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Are they any holes in the tub where coolant lines may have been routed?
Maybe he had heater mounted there?

Bostonian1976
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Are they any holes in the tub where coolant lines may have been routed?
Maybe he had heater mounted there?

Hmm nope! The only peculiar (at least to me) holes I saw are where the seatbelts exit the rear of the tub (to the right and left of that board).

jp-
11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Bostonian, can you take a closer photo? Also show us a better view of the clips?

4flattires
11-06-2007, 08:08 PM
the seatbelts exit the rear of the tub (to the right and left of that board).

Seat belts mounted backwards, would pull something towards the wood pad.

Dog cage?

Jeff