PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Smoke?

Odd Job
11-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I am new to diesels and was hoping to find a "cure" for my smokey woes. My LR runs great and has incredible fuel economy, but at idle it blows quite a bit of bluish/white smoke. This happens no matter how cold or hot the motor is. Is this just a sign of an old diesel or can I remedy this?
Thanks

SalemRover
11-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Blue smoke means that there is oil getting into your combustion chamber. Valve or piston rings may be the culprit. The smoke should smell like burning motor oil as well. Only other way for it to get in there is for someone to pour motor oil into the tank. You sure its blue right? Smells like engine oil?

-Jason

Odd Job
11-06-2007, 04:17 PM
The smoke is definately a mix of blue and white. The motor probably has a bunch of hours on it from use on the farm with the P.T.O. I think I should run a few tanks of fresh diesel through it with some ATF. Maybe that will loosen up or burn off the old crud in there.

Bertha
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I had a Rover diesel years ago. They are a smokey, noisy and smelly diesel engine no matter what kind of shape they are in, however the color mix that you have suggests a ring issue. Do you have any blow by where there is oil spatter under the hood?

Odd Job
11-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I do have some blow by. The valve cover vent seal seems to have been lost. I ordered a new one and hopefully this will solve some of the issue. I drove about 80 miles tonight and kept it up in the revs to try and clean out the old gunk. I can't believe how low the fuel consumption is. This thing must get almost 30 miles to the gallon. No joke. This is going to take a while to put a few tanks through. It runs so well though. I just hate getting the bird from people that hate the smoke. I don't mind telling them to F--K OFF though. Makes the day more interesting.

SalemRover
11-07-2007, 05:34 AM
I have a 2.5NA Diesel and find that I dont smoke under gentle acceleration. Pulling from a dead stop I get a small puff but that is it. This may not work for you if you have a ring/valve issue but then the birds you get will be from being slow and not blowing smoke. Keep an eye on your oil level to gauge how much oil from the engine you are consuming.

-Jason

Bertha
11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I do have some blow by. The valve cover vent seal seems to have been lost. I ordered a new one and hopefully this will solve some of the issue. I drove about 80 miles tonight and kept it up in the revs to try and clean out the old gunk. I can't believe how low the fuel consumption is. This thing must get almost 30 miles to the gallon. No joke. This is going to take a while to put a few tanks through. It runs so well though. I just hate getting the bird from people that hate the smoke. I don't mind telling them to F--K OFF though. Makes the day more interesting.
Ahh, you are bringing back memories: somke, hand jestures, oil all over my hood. They do get good fuel mileage, and no ,matter how tired they seem to get, those old diesels keep chugging along.

LandRoverRo
11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a 2.5NA Diesel and find that I dont smoke under gentle acceleration. Pulling from a dead stop I get a small puff but that is it. This may not work for you if you have a ring/valve issue but then the birds you get will be from being slow and not blowing smoke. Keep an eye on your oil level to gauge how much oil from the engine you are consuming.

-Jason

I also have a 2.5NA diesel (Sherpa motor so slightly different). I get blue/white smoke at start up at idle, but goes away with increased engine revs. Chucks out black smoke under accelleration. i've just acquired a timing tool for the injector pump to try to pinpoint the pump timing so I'm hoping that will improve the issue. I'm thinking I'm getting a little oil leaking in past the valve guides which burns away quickly.

I was running bio-d but have switched back to #2. I'm looking forward to getting back to bio as I think it helps with the smoking. At least it smells good.

I'm still learning about diesels so threads like this one are very helpful and interesting to me.

Jim-ME
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I plan to go diesel ASAP which will unfortunately be a while so these threads are really beneficial to me as well.
Jim

Donnie
11-08-2007, 09:58 PM
It will keep tailgaters off your ask...When some one is riding you tail, just floor it an lay out a hydra-carbon haze---they will back right off or round you...sorry for the Anti green comment :-)

LandRoverRo
11-09-2007, 08:54 AM
It will keep tailgaters off your ask...When some one is riding you tail, just floor it an lay out a hydra-carbon haze---they will back right off or round you...sorry for the Anti green comment :-)

With bio-d, they'll feel like they're sitting in a deep fryer. Not good after a hard night out.:D

Odd Job
11-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I wonder, when this was a brand new vehicle in 1976, if it smoked back then. It seems that most people I ask remember diesels to be smokey in those days.