PDA

View Full Version : DUAL BATTERIES

EASTTNROVER
11-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone is running dual batts in a series, just looking for some pics to get an idea...:thumb-up:

Bostonian1976
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
are you talking about running the batteries in a series?

or talking about running the batteries in a series *in* a Series? :D

I Leak Oil
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I've got dual batteries....but no pictures of it. One is mounted in the original location under the hood, the second is under the seat. Connected in parallel. If you connect them in series you'll have 24 volts....very bad on a 12V truck. No "battery managment" device just wired up direct. I have a delco 64 amp alt. but plan on switching to a 100 or better when it dies. Well worth it.
Jason T.

scott
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
i'm about to add a 2nd battery and badvibes made a great suggetion, using optima redtops, stand 'em on their ends side by side on the original battery tray w/ post facing the motor

Bertha
11-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I am running 2 batteries on my truck with a 110 delco alt. 1 is mounted under the seat and 1 is mounted in the normal battery spot. If you upgrade the alternator you must run a heavier guage wire directly to the battery from the rear of the alternator , or you risk burning the wires in the harness. I am not sure how to upload pics however I will try and take some and upload them tomorrow for you.

Bertha
11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
i'm about to add a 2nd battery and badvibes made a great suggetion, using optima redtops, stand 'em on their ends side by side on the original battery tray w/ post facing the motor
Sounds a little dicey. You may want to refrain from doing that. If they should shift for some reason and ground out, you may end up with a big problem. The best bet is to run the second battery from under the left side seat where Land Rover made a provision for it.

badvibes
11-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Like Scott says it's just a suggestion, I haven't done it. But if you have 2 Optimas, Scott does, some rough measuring looks like 2 optimas might shoe-horn onto the stock battery tray. Would certainly make for an easy mod if they will fit.

Was just out in the garage trying to put 2 Optima red tops onto the stock battery tray. Did not work. Standing them on their ends side by side they're @ 3/4" too wide to make it. Sorry Scott. It still looks like it would be fairly simple to build a platform to fit 2 Optimas in that spot though. Especially if you don't have an oil bath air cleaner and are willing to utilize that space also.

Jeff

EASTTNROVER
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I wanted to put both under the hood, wondering if anyone had modded up something, I would like to keep the oil bath if possible. thanks for the replies. later, Jake.

Like Scott says it's just a suggestion, I haven't done it. But if you have 2 Optimas, Scott does, some rough measuring looks like 2 optimas might shoe-horn onto the stock battery tray. Would certainly make for an easy mod if they will fit.

Jeff

siiirhd88
11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
No pic, sorry. I have the 109 battery mounted in a galvy box in front of the right rear wheel, accessed from the top where the spare tire well normally resides. The box is large enough for a second battery, which is going to be used for the winch and other accessories. With the 3.9 V8 and two alternators installed, there was no room up front for a battery...

Bob

scott
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
...The best bet is to run the second battery from under the left side seat where Land Rover made a provision for it.

no can do as i ripped the box out and put in a second petrol tank. the batteries will be seriously strapped down

chester rides again
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
i don't seem to follow the logic of having two batteries. i just installed an optima red top and have an upgraded alternator. the lights shine real bright and don't flicker at all. maybe i'm missing something...:confused:

badvibes
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
There's definitely room to put 2 Optimas in the area where the stock battery is. Other brands I don't know. I was hoping to be able to set them both on the original battery tray just to make it easy. Looks like if the horn was relocated off the front of the tray a platform could be made to adapt the original tray to fit 2 Optimas side by side, standing on their ends, with the terminals facing inboard. It would be tight but doable.

Jeff

badvibes
11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
cra-

For accessories like a winch. Run off 1 battery to operate the winch and even if you run it flat the 2nd battery is there to get the truck started again. It's a back-up. I realize, and have crank started Scott's truck, that dual batteries aren't a necessity but it would be nice. Especially since you're given one of the batteries for free.

Jeff

scott
11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
i don't seem to follow the logic of having two batteries. i just installed an optima red top and have an upgraded alternator. the lights shine real bright and don't flicker at all. maybe i'm missing something...:confused:

i'm adding my 2nd to run all extra lights and a winch and badvibes thinks in a pinch we can switch 'em from parallel to series to make a field expediant arc welder

chester rides again
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
got it, :thumb-up: thanks for explaining. so i'm picturing you getting stuck in the mud, stalling the truck, and then winching out.

scott
11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
got it, :thumb-up: thanks for explaining. so i'm picturing you getting stuck in the mud, stalling the truck, and then winching out.

you forgot break'n the tie rod, grabbing a 7/8 combo wrench for use as a splint and using some jumper cables, a welding rod and some cool sunglasses arc weld the tie rod together then weld the wrench over the weld. seen that in a 4x4 magazine and was imprest with the enginuity and pesistence of that dude

Bertha
11-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I have it for my winch and my extra lights. If I can figure out how to post some pics you will see what I mean.

luckyjoe
11-07-2007, 02:25 PM
> ...a galvy box in front of the right rear wheel...

OK Bob, this comment demands pictures!

Tom P.

EASTTNROVER
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
i'm adding my 2nd to run all extra lights and a winch and badvibes thinks in a pinch we can switch 'em from parallel to series to make a field expediant arc welder

That's where I am heading with it. Having a backup is always nice, too.

siiirhd88
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll try to take a pic or two at the first opportunity. The battery box is actually a retangular galvy trash can, with aluminum angle riveted to the top edge to make a flange. The flange is then attached under the wheel tub, and the box accessed from a hatch in place of the 109 spare tire well piece. I don't think there is enough space on an 88.....

Bob

> ...a galvy box in front of the right rear wheel...

OK Bob, this comment demands pictures!

Tom P.

luckyjoe
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Bob,

I'd like to do the same on both sides of my 109. I though about doing the storage locker converion that you see on military 110's and retrofitted on a lot of overland 109's. However, I prefer inside-only access to this storage.

Regards,

Giddyuprover
11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
I run two in my truck. I got two Orbital yellow tops from Napa. Mounted them side to side and got rid of the oil bath monster and went with a "dry" style k&n looking filter. I have a marine switch that goes 1,2, both, and off. I like this setup since it give me the option to shut everything off at the switch so I don't lose sleep about leaving something turned on in the truck.

badvibes
11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Giddyup-

This sounds like the way to go. Do you have pics you can post? Thanks.

Jeff

scott
11-08-2007, 08:29 PM
i'm going to try this configuration

scott
11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
just set in the 2nd battery. found that with the redtop on it's side post inboard and pos to the rear the 2nd fits right on top laid the same way
i don't have an oil bath anymore but i do have a piece of 6" pvc in its place that i keep tire chains in

PH4
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
How does the auxilliry battery get recharged? Do both run off generator?

scott
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
when i get it all wired the altenator will feed both batteries.the 2nd will be isolated from the first when the ignition is off. my cb, stereso, winch, off road lights will be wired through self resetting fuses to the 2nd battery. the plus here is that if i'm running any of my add ons while the truck is off the primary bat is not affected. imagine winch'n out your stalled vehicle to where you can safely comfortablely work on getting it running. the work goes into the night, and you like a little music while you work. if you run down your primary you are forced to hand crank it and if it doesn't start you may wonder if you're not crank'n fast/hard enugh or is there still something wrong and then your beer hold'n hand gets tired and evrything else goes to ...