PDA

View Full Version : window tracks

siii8873
11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
I am replacing all the window tracks on my SIII. I put in the bottom track and tried the sliding window but it catches on every screw. What is the correct size screw and what is the trick to bury them in the felt? I'm using a #6 sheet metal screw with a wood screw type head.

Squire
11-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I presume the screws you are using are counter sunk?
You really need to tighten the hell out of them and even after doing this they will still catch if slightly of square.
Ive rebuilt alot of door tops over the years with similiar issues on some to yours.On my current project I used 3mm countersunk rivets whic worked really well with no catching.

siii8873
11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Is there enough material to countersink these screws? Screw size should be what size? I thought about rivets but my rivet gun will not fit inside the track opening.

rover_chump
11-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Greetings,

Did you get the window track kits from our "host"?
Because RN's kits include the stainless phillips head sheet metal
screws that sink right down through the felt stuff.
(or, sold seperatly in bags of 20 for $3.31)
Peace,
Art

siii8873
11-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Not sure where the tracks came from. They were included with the vehicle when I bought it. I have a feeling that they are an aftermarket version as they do not have the opening on the bottom track for the locker. Don't look alot different than the ones I removed minus the rust.

siii8873
11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I purchased a set of RN tracks. Still have a problem with the install. I installed the stationary glass piece with one thickness of the same butyl caulk as sold for the windscreen glass. I then test fit the bottom channel, with the alum spacer holding it fimly against the outside of the window frame. Then I test fit the plastic locker and the lock post does not line up inside to outside with the slot in the track. The track would have to be spaced away from the stationary glass to align. Then the seal of the moving glass and stationary glass has a gap. My guess is that the caulk I need must be thicker than the windshield caulk or two thicknesses applied. Anyone know if there is a thicker caulk I should be using or just double it up?

seriousseries
11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Just get the ROcky Mt tracks and be done with it.

tallest1
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
i replaced my window tracks on my 72 88 a couple months ago and encountered the same problem where the window would hit a screw when sliding. the issue went away when i really cranked down on tightening the screws that were posing a problem.

siii8873
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
with a little fussing I have got my first window completed and working quite well. Next 3 should be easier. I have another question on windows. On the back side windows I removed the galv drain tray under the windows. What is the best sealant to put between tray drain pipes and the sides?