PDA

View Full Version : temerature gauge/ sender ohms?

KSMTAW
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello,

I need to trouble shoot my temeprature guage on my 1970 IIA 88 with an original smiths temperature gauge.

My temp sender is threaded into the drivers (left side) on the front of the engine.

I replaced the sender, cap, thermostat, fan belt tension is correct, fluid is new and correct 50/50 ratio. The voltage stabilizer is about one year old and my fuel gauge is fine, so I don't suspect the stabilizer. I used a infered thermometer and I checked all accesable surfaces of the engine and radiator and they read 88° which matches my thermostat.

can I use a ohm meter to check the voltage coming out of the stabilizer? I know the stabilizer steps the voltage down from 12-

Can anybody tell me how to use a voltmeter to check the signal coming from my sender unit?

Thanks
Todd

Donnie
11-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Hello,

I need to trouble shoot my temeprature guage on my 1970 IIA 88 with an original smiths temperature gauge.

My temp sender is threaded into the drivers (left side) on the front of the engine.

I replaced the sender, cap, thermostat, fan belt tension is correct, fluid is new and correct 50/50 ratio. The voltage stabilizer is about one year old and my fuel gauge is fine, so I don't suspect the stabilizer. I used a infered thermometer and I checked all accesable surfaces of the engine and radiator and they read 88° which matches my thermostat.

can I use a ohm meter to check the voltage coming out of the stabilizer? I know the stabilizer steps the voltage down from 12-

Can anybody tell me how to use a voltmeter to check the signal coming from my sender unit?

Thanks
Todd
U can use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of your sender. Connect 1 lead to the terminal & the other to earth. Start the engine cold & record the readings of both cold and hot engine. I don't know the spec., but it should vary as the engine warms ...some one on here may have a spec 4 U.. what is the problem?

KSMTAW
11-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Hello Donnie,

The problem is that I suspect my gauge is reading very high. I don't think the truck is running hot and the sight of the gauge running into the red prevents me from driving it. I have changed the radiator cap, thermostat, coolant, sender unit and fan belt tension is o.k.. I have checked the engine and components when the gauge reads hot and with a thermometer I can find nothing hotter than 190° which is in line with the thermostat I am running.

I am down to suspecting that the old smiths gauge is not operating properly.

I figured I could use a meter to help my troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help.

I still need to know what the sender is supposed to read.