PDA

View Full Version : TDi in an early IIA?

Momo
11-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Will the 200 or 300 TDi fit in an early IIA without converting to the later breakfast/headlight configuration? I know the Tdi will go into the late IIA's and III's but I want my headlights to stay where they are.

KevinNY
11-11-2007, 05:19 PM
The 200 would not work as you need the space for the radiator and intercooler.

Moose
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
The 300 would be a huge hassle with a lot of mods having to be made. The 200 bolts up to the Series gearbox and the engine sits in the same place as the 2.25 lump. The right hand engine mount needs to be moved. The rad could most likely be made to work but the intercooler will be a problem.

Use the Defender 200 as opposed to the Disco version otherwise the turbo will foul with the steering box and the chassis rail.

Or, have a look here (http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm) to see about doing a de-tuned 200 swap and using your existing rad.

Brett

CliftonRover
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I put a 200 tdi in my 64 109 and I moved my headlights to the fenders but you could keep them in the grill. you will have to use an electric fan. I used early series IIA fenders but bought the backing plate, headlight cups and cover plates for a series III and cut holes to mount the lights below the signals and driving lights on the fenders.
also- the intercooler has to slightly overlap with the radiator because the stering relay is in the way.

leafsprung
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
You can make either engine fit without removing your lights. Some modification required of course.

Momo
11-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys. Ike, have you done this swap? And either way do you know anyone who has done so and kept the early sheetmetal? I'd like detailed photos and a breakdown of mods, rather than reinventing the wheel...and Clifton, maybe you could help with pics of yours?

leafsprung
11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
I have put larger engines in, not that one though. Heres a website with pics of an early SIIA with the 200tdi and a description. Its pretty common practice elsewhere.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=86475

There seem to be lots of swaps in OZ and UK where 200tdis were sold new. Theres a few 200tdi SIIAs in the US too. The mounts are the same as the 2.5 n/a, the turbo orientation is different from the disco to the defender, the bellhosing pattern is the same except for the diameter of the studs (metric), exhaust is obviously different. Some mods required to the breakfast. The breakfast is deep on a series so theres a lot of room there to play with. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat too, theres are several ways to subtly make room in a series engine bay. You could fit a cummins 5.9L in line six cylinder turbo diesel into a series land rover and retain the headlights in the grill. . . with some careful work.

yorker
11-12-2007, 08:57 AM
There are a ton of these swaps on the British boards- a lot of debate about detuning them and removing the turbos to make them more bulletproof and series tranny friendly etc. Start doing searches on those boards and you'll find most of the info you'll want- just be cognisant of the LHD vs RHD issues.:thumb-up:

CliftonRover
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
here are some pictures of mine

CliftonRover
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
sorry had trouble uploading

CliftonRover
11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
and one more

BackInA88
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I wantey!!!:)