PDA

View Full Version : Electric fans and Adhesive

PH4
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
What are the positives and negatives of installing an electric fan on the radiator in the South East?

What type of adhesive is used or best used to adhere the black interior trim to the kick plate/bulkhead in a Series 109 SW? Any advice appreciated?

thixon
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
The problem I have with electric fans is that they're electric. If it brakes on the trail, you're screwed. You can change a broken belt easily enough, and you can take a replacement or two without investing tons in backup parts. Not true of the electric fan. Just out of curiosity, why are you considering it? Horsepower gains couldnt be the reason.....

As for the adhesive, I'd use 3M "Super Trim Adhesive." Not to be confused with just plain 3M "Trim Adhesive." Yes there is a difference, and yes the "super" model, is in fact super. Just make sure to cafeful when you spray it, and follow the directions by letting it dry before adhering the trim to the bulkhead.

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

PH4
11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I was under the impression that an electric fan was in addition to the mechanical fan not a replacement. Gets hot down here and was wondering if would help run engine cooler.

greenmeanie
11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I would invest the money in a good overhaul of the cooling system instead.

I live in the desert south west and it gets up to 120°F here. After a bit of effort my truck runs at just over 3/4 on the gauge on even the hottest day. If I REALLY thrash her on the freeway I'll get the temp up closer to red but it takes a bit of doing. If anything she runs a bit cool the rest of the time.

I'd replace the thermostat, dismantle the cooling system and give everything a good flush. At the age of these trucks a lot of them suffer from gunked up rads.

Cheers
Gregor

thixon
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Even if you are planning on running it in addition to the original, if your depending on it to keep the truck cool, and it breaks, you're screwed. I'm not totally against it, I just beleive in keeping it simple. In my experience, its usually somthing stupid that breaks, so the fewer backups you have to carry the better.

I'm with the previous poster. Pull it apart. Flush and clean everything. Run some water wetter if you're that worried, it actually does bring the temp down some.

TedW
11-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Never had a problem. IMO the truck runs better all around with just the electric fan. I've been in traffic jams at 95 degrees and high humidity and the truck cooled down just fine. It also warms up much faster - not a big deal for folks down South but very important up here in Maine.

Just to be safe I keep the blade fan in the truck in case the electric one fails (hasn't happened yet).