PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Defender suddenly quit running

cthulhu
11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
OK, I have had this defender for years with very minor electrical problems, basically a bad alternator, starter and just in the last year a relay went out.

Today, while backing out of the driveway, the defender stopped running. Period, no sputters, no nothing, dead. So, I took the fuze cover off and was checking things out and I could not find anything wrong, then suddenly the car came on fully, I started her normally, she ran for a few seconds and died again and is now still dead.

Now, I have interior lights, I have door open alarm, the hazard switch works, I hear clicking of some relay(s), but no dash lights, no turn signals, no headlights and nothing from the engine, I do not think I hear the fuel pump running either.

I have run through the shop manual, but I was not able to narrow down what might be going on.

I thought it might be the inertia switch going out or maybe a relay, but I do not have the tools at the house to do more troubleshooting.

Any help is great appreciated

Terrys
11-10-2007, 03:58 PM
You dont need any tools to check the inertia switch.
Have you checked the maxi fuses?
Do you have spark ? (at the end of a plug wire, not at the end of the coil wire. When you turn you ign. switch to position 2 do you hear the fuel pump run for 3-4 seconds?

cthulhu
11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I do not hear the fuel pump, when I turn the key to start the engine, nothing happens at all, dead silence.

When I turn on the headlights, the dash lights come on and so do the external side lights, but no headlights and no turn signals.

The hazards still work.

I have checked the relays by swaping them around, no difference, I have disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the computer, no difference, no codes at the error code box ( that I can tell ).

I have checked fuzes, not the maxi's yet, I gave them a wiggle but did not pull them out since the car has power to some systems and not others.

I have noticed that a lot of things run through the starter solenoid, but if I remember correctly, that is a physical connection between the battery and the rest of the car. I haven't had any problems with the starter since it was changed 4-5 years ago.

Weird stuff.

Terrys
11-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm confused because yesterday, you posted in a different thread that you found you had a bad relay and all was well. In any case, If you're not hearing the pump run when you fist turn the key on, thats the first place to look. Get someone to stick their head down by the tank if you can't hear it from the drivers seat.
Your headlights won't go on, irrespective of the headlight switch, unless you turn on your ign switch to position 2. If they still don't go on with the IGN switch on, then you really ought to be looking at the IGN MAXI FUSE.

Do you have B+ at the coil with the ign on? Do you have B+ at the pump for 3-4 seconds when you turn the key on.
If not, start with the IGN MAXI fuse, Then the INERTIA switch, then the fuel pump RELAY.

cthulhu
11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, that was the time that my fuel pump relay was bad. I mention it in this thread that I had a previous problem with it.