PDA

View Full Version : heater hose routing?

alaskajosh
11-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm looking to find the correct way to route the heater hoses (the hot air ducting) in a LHD '70 IIA.

The way it came to me was all cobbled up (using, among other things, bathroom sink P-trap parts) from the heat distribution box, across the top of the trans tunnel, then up through the dash on the drivers side.

I see the picture in the RN catalog where both hoses come up from the distribution box, though the bottom and top of the "glove box", then to their respective vents. But this car only has one hole up though the glove box... enough to supply only one vent.

I hate like hell to go blasting a bunch of new holes around when I could ask around and do it right.

I've heard some say that the holes were omitted in some cars depending on their destination to certain markets. That's hard to believe as there's every indication they made bulkheads as universal as possible.. ready for RH/LH drive, etc.

Thank you gents!

4flattires
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
bathroom sink P-trap parts

Huh? Thats not stock? .....Now I have even MORE to do on my Landie.

Seriously, my 69 LHD has 1 ovalized hole that accomodates two hoses.

Jeff

alaskajosh
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
my 69 LHD has 1 ovalized hole that accomodates two hoses.

Jeff

Interesting-- Mine is perfectly round and much too small for two hoses. I don't get it.

I'm reaching for the hole saw. I just hate to hack things up if it can be avoided.

scott
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
mine has 2 holes, slightly overlapped and the one on the right about a 1/4" inch further away from the bulkhead. the right hole looks like it was an afterthought

BackInA88
11-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Here are how mine are routed.

Mine is a small Smiths I believe the bigger units have bigger diamater hoses.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Land%20Rover/LandRover018.jpg

4flattires
11-13-2007, 06:14 AM
perhaps clarifying another point....

I saw another 69 88 bugeye (as mine) that had a factory "cover" that covered the left defrost hose. Painted black. The cover ran between the two vent actuators and created a flat surface. It seems cosmetic in value, or would prevent pencils from dropping down and wedging between the left hose and bulkhead as it ran to the left vent. Perhaps it prevented cosmic radiation from deteriorating the hose prematurely or kept the hose from flapping up and down in gale force winds as it ran towards the left vent.

In either case, its missing on Backina88's photo and missing on mine.

Sorry to stray from the topic.

Jeff

BackInA88
11-13-2007, 07:31 AM
I have that piece it was just not on at the time the picture was taken.:)

4flattires
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM
...more stuff to buy!

Thanks.

Jeff

greenmeanie
11-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Just to add to your list then. There is also a cover for where the hoses pass up through the dash panel as shown in Backina88's photo. Again it seems cosmetic but would also make a good place to mount a volt gauge or whatever other info meter you desire.

There may also be a panel for a hand throttle.

Of course Backina88's photo shows the routing far better without the panel. I have one but it seems to hide at the back of my parts stash and never quite seem to get on the truck.

Cheers
Gregor

alaskajosh
11-13-2007, 04:56 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Land%20Rover/LandRover018.jpg

I'm gonna' copy this arrangement for my passenger side vent.

The only thing I did differently is run the driver's side vent through that hole (that you can see in this picture) that disappears behind the gauge panel. I felt that looked cleaner and kept the dash shelf free of clutter and available for further future clutter.

Not to cut into RN's business.. but if you're in a pinch and must source local parts, NAPA (part# 815-1002) has a beautiful alternative. It's sold in 6' lengths, rubbery composition, ribbed with a inner wire coil, and can make a very tight radius (90deg bend almost within it's own width). Looks stock as can be.

Thanks for the pic, Backina.

BackInA88
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
But the space between the hose and the front of the dash is the perfect place to keep your sunglasses!!!:thumb-up:

Plus the hose isn't in the way when you work on your wiring, and you will be working on your wiring.:D

Plus with all the heat that these babies put out you risk melting your wiring!!:p

4flattires
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Gregor,

I do have that panel!

I will be wrenching on the rover this weekend, putting on some dust boots. Let me know if you still need speedo help.

Jeff

greenmeanie
11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Jeff,
I fitted the new speedo at the weekend and it seems to work well. It looks great and moves smoothly without the usual bouncyness. On the other hand I also realised that after years of running without one I just don't give a damn about knowing my speed. I'm either going slower or faster than the traffic or plain flat out on the freeway!

Fitting the speedo took about 1/2 hour as I had also stripped and painted the dash panel. Routing the speed cable took another 20 minutes as I forgot to put the clamp plate over the end before routing it the first time. (Who reads the manual before doing a job?) I then spent about 2 hours on those three f@#!!g screws that hold the end of the speedo onto the transfer box. I won in the end but what a pain in the posterior.

I'm now getting revved up to gut the LUCAS electrical system out my 101 and do a proper rewire using a painless kit. It should be a fun project as it will give me a proper fuse panel, a realy panel for all the high power stuff and a dual battery controller from hellroaring all properly integrated. Some may call it sacriledge but after two major harness shorts I call it safety!

If you want to meet up some time I'm up for it. This weekend is probably out as my son is teething and demanding TLC. Such is life.

Cheers
Gregor