PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Outrovn
11-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Can someone tell me where else I can look for the vin on a 1983 110? It may be a 1984 but not sure! Also, what model TDI would it be and how do I tell?

Thanks
Scott
Kabul, Afghanistan

greenmeanie
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
A 1983 110 would not have the desireable 200 or 300Tdi fitted standard. The early trucks had a turbo diesel (IIRC this is called a 17J or a 19J) developed from the old series diesel boat anchor. If looked after they are an OK engine but a lot were abused which quickly resulted in reliability issues. You'd need to go onto the UK boards and ask for details.

An ex mod truck would have a NA 2.5D but not at that vintage.

If its original the VIN should be stamped in the chassis. IIRC it should be on the front (left?) chassis horn.

Cheers
Gregor

Outrovn
11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Got it front left chassis horn! How do I tell if its a 17J or 19J? Is land rover still making parts for this engine? I don't think its a MOD truck, but how would I tell the difference?
Thanks a mill!

Scott
Kabul, Afghanistan

Terrys
11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I think the VIN is stamped on the front RIGHT horn, on the outside surface.
If it's a diesel, it's likely the 2.5 TD. A 200TDi and intercooler is a pretty easy swap, into that truck. The 2.5 is an OK engine, but a little pokey.
If you're planning on bringing it back to the US, make sure you can verify that the build date is at least 25 years ago.

Outrovn
11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys found the vin. Had to clean off years of Afghan sand to find it. Unfortunately its not an 83! After calling John Riley in the UK I learned that it was a 96. I guess life in Afghanistan is hard on Rovers making them look allot older than they are. I'll keep looking though, there is allot of old rovers here with no rust issues.................just allot of sand attached, Ha Ha!:D

Scott
Kabul, Afghanistan