PDA

View Full Version : bigger altenator?

scott
11-15-2007, 10:19 AM
i'm about to replace my lucas 42 amp with a delco 60 or 80 amp. reasons, to charge two batteries. 1st battery to run the stock stuff, 2nd to be isolated and used for extra lighting, stereo, cb, winch, ect. some one asked me if that little 2.25 liter can handle turning it. i fear that there's a little truth in every joke. what might i expect from adding a bigger altenator?

Bertha
11-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a high output Delco alternator. The 2.25 is more than capable of handling it. However I am running 2 Batt's, a winch and a lot of lights, so I went to a dual pulley system as found on the military FFR trucks. I would reccommend this upgrade if you are running a lot of electrical components. You can buy this set up from P.A. Blanchard who has a lot of military surplus LR stuff in England.

scott
11-15-2007, 10:45 AM
why 2 pulleys?

leafsprung
11-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Works fine. I think I saw some brackets for the delco on ebay.

2rovers
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I am using these brackets with a new 65 amp alternator and they install easy and work great.http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

badvibes
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
i'm about to replace my lucas 42 amp with a delco 60 or 80 amp. reasons, to charge two batteries. 1st battery to run the stock stuff, 2nd to be isolated and used for extra lighting, stereo, cb, winch, ect. some one asked me if that little 2.25 liter can handle turning it. i fear that there's a little truth in every joke. what might i expect from adding a bigger altenator?

Scott-

I used the 63 amp unit on mine, that's what I had laying in the garage that came off the heep. You can ask for an alt for a '77 CJ with a 258 6 banger. The NAPA # is 213-40118. The higher output alt that I put on the heep is a little larger case. I don't know if it would fit where I mounted mine, you've seen it. Probably could but it would be tight.

J

gudjeon
11-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I have been running a rebuilt Delco on my 2.25 for three years now. Its an 87 Amp and it ain't broke anything yet. No belt slippage thus far. The rebuild kit cost me 35 CAN and I found the alternator on a wreck. No fancy brackets needed:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07006.jpghttp://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07005.jpg
I reused the original lower bracket and turned a long bolt to go through the bracket, block, and spacer in the back to take up the gap. I also ground down the large ear on the alternator to allow it to line up with the pulleys while it sits in its mount. The upper bracket came from the same donor car and was extended to give it some range for adjustment. The belt that fits for this set up came from the power steering for a '98 Dodge Neon. Dunno what the Napa # is. Nothing is drilled and the original brackets can be retained if someone decides to go back to a dynamo if the very distant future.

Jon

PH4
11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
If an alternator is so much better than a generator, why did LR use a generator for so many years?

scott
11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
If an alternator is so much better than a generator, why did LR use a generator for so many years?

i think the advantage of a generator (dynamo) over an altenator is you can run without a battery whereas with an altenator you can't. the advantge of an altenator is they're cheap and found in every auto parts store

jon, i like the way you think, i too try not to alter the original parts but i don't hesitate to put a non rover part on when it works.

luckyjoe
11-16-2007, 09:01 AM
The generator tends to survive water dunking better than a low-mounted alternator. And you can hand-crank a dead battery with it, where the alternator will not let this happen. Only real limitation to the generator is output - 20-22amps doesn't really leave any overhead for accessories.

Regards,

daveb
11-16-2007, 09:28 AM
howdy

that is purely academic as you will not likely need to...

And you can hand-crank a dead battery with it, where the alternator will not let this happen.
Regards,

green 'n stinky
11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Has anyone installed a delco alternator in a 2.25 diesel? I like the look of the adapters out there but it would seem that the diesel's intake manifold would get in the way.

Many thanks - I'm new to Land Rovers and to the forum.