PDA

View Full Version : Series Winter Driving in New England

Giddyuprover
11-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I have only been in Vt for a year but from working in a service station have seen the devastation that the salt has on ALL cars up here. Has anyone out there had any luck with keeping the rust at bay? I'm not opposed to freezing to death in my rover, I just don't want my frame to look like swiss cheese in the spring.
Thanks,
Doug

TedW
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I waxoyled my truck in '92 when I bought it - truck has been in Maine since bought new in 1970. Frame was in good (if repaired) shape when I bought it, having been "rustproofed" using various methods by previous owners - with some success, I might add.
I have seen no decay in my frame during the past 17 years, and I have lived all that time on the coast, where we deal with salt air year-round. I touch up my truck every year to get any worn spots.
I have heard of a home made waxoyl tratment, using bar & chain oil (very clingy) with a couple of wax toilet rings melted and mixed in. Never tried it, though.

IMO Waxoyl is the way to go - Call Mark.

1961 109 WAGON
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM
down here we spray the under sides with diesel fuel about every two months:nono:

gudjeon
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Mix of diesel and ATF sprayed inside the frame and out. Keeps the leaf springs lubed well too. Better articulation and greatly reduced leaf breakage. I have never seen a Logging contractor's truck box rust out with all that spilled diesel and hydraulic fluid.:thumb-up:

Mercedesrover
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Equal parts 10w-30 and kerosene sprayed through a potato sprayer. I keep a bucket of it around to spray the tractors, implements, etc. a couple times a year, especially before winter.

siii8873
11-24-2007, 07:59 AM
I am planning on using WAXOYL to rustproof my SIII that I am just completing. I looked around for application guns and the one from our host is over $200. Has anyone used a different spray gun for applying waxoyl. I'm most concerned with treating the inside of the frame. From playing around with the aresol cans I don't think they could be used effectivly for treating the frame.
Also what is the best way to treat the inside of the frame? I was thinking of taking my bumper back off, drilling a 1/2 " hole in the end, extending a wand to the back of the frame and retract it as I spray the inside.

TedW
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I saw it at the British Invasion - has all the attachments, wands and nozzles to do it right. Professional quality. I got a rustproofing gun for Christmas last year from Eastwood (eastwood.com). Not sure of the price, and the quality is fair at best. Haven't used it yet.
I Waxoyled my frame internals just the way you described it. I believe that the Rovers North gun has the long hose to do it, and also the 360 degree nozzle to spray all around the insides.
My original Waxoyl was made by Finnegan's and came with a glorified tree sprayer (pump that attached to the top of the 1 liter can). It did have a nifty hose with a nail stuck in the end that sent the spray 360 degrees to do inside the frame. Of course the wand broke before the job was done and I had to call them up in England for new parts. I now have the superior Swiss-made Waxoyl from Rovers North sitting on my shelf for the next application with the compressor unit.