PDA

View Full Version : alt upgrade but my lucas has 4 wires????help..

gobie desert
11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
hi good folks of the serious land rovers. i have a 1981 series III stage 1 v-8. i am doing the much hyped and recommended alternator conversion to the ac delco unit. got the unit, got some brackets actually from spares off my 67 mustang that work (what are the odds?) but here is my dilema...the lucas alt has 4 wires going into it. it has a very large connector in back that says amp that plugs into a three pin connector in the alt. that has 3 wires into it two very thick brown wires and a thinner brown and yellow. then there is another thinner brown wire that runs to a seperate plug on the alt. so 4 wires altogether. my question is where do i hook up all these crazy wires? i have seen most of the wiring diagrams but they only mention 3 wires. why do i have 4? any help on this would be great. oh also is it worth it to remove the restricter plates on the carbs or just get a new manifold with a 4bbl setup?

greenmeanie
11-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Pull those restrictor plates! IIRC they limit airflow to hold you down at about 90 odd HP. They were only put in there becuase LR was not sure if the chassis was up to the wild power of a V8. We are older and wiser now. Pull em off for more power and better economy. I would also check your mixtures after that as you might find she just runs too lean. If that's the case call Joe Curto in NY and order a set of 2AY needles. They are used on the 101 so should be a good match.

For wiring in a Delco alt this site provides all you need to know.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

You can pick up the connector at any of your local auto factors.

Cheers
Gregor