PDA

View Full Version : Question on my IIa's Heater...

Bostonian1976
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I've noticed recently that no other Rovers that I've seen have the second piece of dash running below their guages....I never realized it until recently. This is the heater and air blows from the left and right side of this piece....is it not factory or do I just have a different year? see below the speedometer...the horizontal blue section

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/127-2717_IMG.JPG

Leslie
11-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I note that you have a single-motor wiper, so you have a later IIa, not an earlier one....

Earlier Series had the Smith's shin-roasters (the round squirrel cages), or later, the flat Smiths, right on the firewall in front of the shifter. Yours is later, part of the progression towards what would become the SIII.

landi41
11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Pretty good oil pressure :)

TSR53
11-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Great photo of your dashboard! The original linked image you posted was so wide it punched a new hole through the side of our new forum - you busted it already... drats. LOL!! I figured out the coding change to keep it clean, scrolling and fitting properly :thumb-up:. Keep it up guys, good threads.

Bostonian1976
11-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Pretty good oil pressure :)

ha yeah that's a project for next summer. though the truck is running extremely well now, none of my guages work :( oil pressure goes sky high, temp doesn't register at all, and gas stays at "full"

greenmeanie
11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
As stated above on late IIA's you have the SIII type heater that is situated in the front wing. The piece you show should havwe a rather quaint little door on the end that allows you to shut off whatever tepid air flow comes from the heater to your right kneecap.

The NADA IIa's a t least oriinally had a piece of soft vinyl trim to cover the duct but I can't find a new one to replace mine. If you check the previous posts you will see the part numbers provided by our hosts.

Cheers
Gregor

2rovers
11-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I luv my Kodiak heater for the Canadian winter. minus 9 C yesterday and I had to keep turning it off.

Bostonian1976
11-13-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks guys! Late IIa is classified as what? '67 up? My truck is such a mystery. I think it's mostly '67.....

How rare is the Kodiak? I have an opportunity to get one, though I can honestly say that the factory heater isn't so bad on mine...

Leslie
11-13-2006, 03:05 PM
thanks guys! Late IIa is classified as what? '67 up? My truck is such a mystery. I think it's mostly '67.....

How rare is the Kodiak? I have an opportunity to get one, though I can honestly say that the factory heater isn't so bad on mine...

'68 was the transition year, called a bugeye, because the headlights were moved from the radiator support panel (aka the breakfast) to the wings; they just kinda were mounted there, though. '69 is when the front of the wings became pressed like you see on SIII's... so, '69-'71 is a late IIa.

However, changes started creeping in earlier.... switch from pos to neg ground, from dual to single motor on the wipers, improvements on the heaters...

Kodiaks are kinda rare, and, usually aren't cheap. RN has a heater that would do as well (the Mansfield(?), but also isn't cheap). However, w/ the late IIa/III style of heater, you don't have the lack of heat that the earlier shin-roasters have.... I wouldn't change out, unless I was in Fairbanks.... ;)

KingSlug
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Most land rover heaters except the "shinburner" are fresh air units. If you are really cold you could modify the air intake to pull preheated air from your interior just like recirculate on later cars. I have seen this done on rovers in NW Canada, but I can't remember the actual setup except the air in was in the passenger footwell.

I have seen the heater distribution box pictured on a few rovers, I think rover even sold it as a kit because I have seen them on older S2 rovers or the owner retro-fitted them.

If you are looking for info on Kodiaks heaters try HERE (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/kodiaksite/kodiak.html).

J!m
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I added a second heater to my 110 for the trip to James Bay last February. It was from JC Whitney and was quite cheap. Made by Flex-A-Lite (the engine fan guys) and will melt glass if you let it.:thumb-up:

We were in -40 degree weather, and we had the truck up to 78 degrees (F) inside when we couldn't stand it any longer. We wanted to see how hot we could get it... We had to turn it off and open the windows to cool off or risk heat stroke in sub-arctic Canada in February. Try explaining that one...

Now to be fair, I also have the truck well insulated, with foil-faced fiberglass above the headliner, foil-faced rigid foam (1" thick) on the roof sides, and foil-faced rigid foam (1/4") on the rear roof area. No other insulation (aside from the footwell "insulation" from the factory) has been added.

Mike has one of these on his 101 to replace the big, expensive hard-to find and welded to the truck stock heater. it works better, and is smaller with a better fan. Ther is another version with provisions for ducting as well if you want to get fancy.

And yes, it gets so hot because it recycles the warm air in the truck. The stock heater uses fresh air all the time, so the colder it is outside, the colder it is inside. My '71 is stil stock, and the heater is crappy because of this.

AlohaRover
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
'68 was the transition year, called a bugeye, because the headlights were moved from the radiator support panel (aka the breakfast) to the wings; they just kinda were mounted there, though. '69 is when the front of the wings became pressed like you see on SIII's... so, '69-'71 is a late IIa.

I thought the bugeyes were 69 and the sunk in headlights began in 1970?
I know of a Jun 69 that had the bugeye, but who knows if it was original.

J!m
11-14-2006, 02:42 PM
As far as I know that is correct. The "late IIa" begins in 1970-1971, then the III started.

I have a 1971.

The "bug eye" was as far as I know 1969 only, until they got tooled up for the change. They just moved the headlights from the rad support to the fenders with no other changes, so they 'bug out' from the fenders a bit. Quite rare, as it was only the one year (and possibly not the entire year).

The change was driven by the Australian market I believe, where the headlights must not be so far in-board...

Bostonian1976
11-14-2006, 02:59 PM
well...

I have an inboard-headlight, banjo steering wheel, horizontal heater (as mentioned previous), boosted-brake (dual-circuit), single wiper motor, black guage panel Series. Try and figure out what year that is! lol

J!m
11-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Now we start to understand the down-side of part interchangability since the dawn of man...

Leslie
11-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Gentlemen, you know as well as I do that Rover doesn't go strictly by model years....

The bugeye began in that latter half of '68, and the transition ended with the late IIa w/ the stampings in place before the end of '69.

"Hey Doogan, hand me another bit out of that bin!" "It's empty, Angus! But this other bin has the older type still in it...." "That'll do, then...."

You guys know I'm right...... ;)

Luke
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
As far as I know that is correct. The "late IIa" begins in 1970-1971, then the III started.

I have a 1971.

The "bug eye" was as far as I know 1969 only, until they got tooled up for the change. They just moved the headlights from the rad support to the fenders with no other changes, so they 'bug out' from the fenders a bit. Quite rare, as it was only the one year (and possibly not the entire year).

The change was driven by the Australian market I believe, where the headlights must not be so far in-board...

LOL - who actually knows..? :confused: I had a 'G' registered IIa with headlights in the wings, full pressings, the works. G reg was Aug 68 - Jul 69!

Cheers
Luke

Luke
11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Yep! As Leslie just said...

Leslie
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Change from dual to single wiper was in '67.

Lights moved from radiator support panel to wings in '68.

Pressings of the front of the wings (non bygeye, late IIa) began in February '69.

Other changes that occurred around the same period ('67 t0 '69) was from gray to black seats, addition of sliding rails on the seats, the heater, the steering wheel, and, the change from being started with a push-button to actually using the key to start it.

FWIW...

J!m
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Change from dual to single wiper was in '67.

Lights moved from radiator support panel to wings in '68.

Pressings of the front of the wings (non bygeye, late IIa) began in February '69.

Other changes that occurred around the same period ('67 t0 '69) was from gray to black seats, addition of sliding rails on the seats, the heater, the steering wheel, and, the change from being started with a push-button to actually using the key to start it.

FWIW...

And I'd like to add, in no particular order.

I used to be deep into older Chrysler (MOPAR) products, and you would often see the same things (although not to such an extent).

It almost seems as if there were several parallel lines running at any given time at LR, all making the same model, and one line may have a ton of part "X" while the other line ran out of that part last month and are now using the part "Y" instead, poerhaps stealing one from the other line once in a while just for fun... A better hope of nailing it down would be the VIN suffix, rather than the reg letter (in the UK) or "model year", as many mid-year (or more appropriately stated "when ever the hell we felt like it") changes took place, particularly in the late sixties/early seventies, when just about everyone owned Rover at one point or another...

Add to that the "Monday build" and "Friday build" factor, and well, all bets are off then!:rolleyes:

Bostonian1976
11-15-2006, 08:36 AM
oh yeah...my VIN is an H suffix...just to really confuse the issue :)

my front wings definitey look as though they've been replaced though.

I would be VERY VERY VERY interested in my truck's history...

she's purdy, regardless of what the history is though...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/Ts.JPG

landi41
11-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Nice little Series, I had one very similar to yours......sorry i ever sold it !!

Leslie
11-18-2006, 06:32 PM
The NADA IIa's a t least oriinally had a piece of soft vinyl trim to cover the duct but I can't find a new one to replace mine. If you check the previous posts you will see the part numbers provided by our hosts.

That vinyl trim is visible here:

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9301/dsc01251fo7.jpg

FWIW.....

Tdi Guy
11-19-2006, 10:20 AM
That is the same heater control cable on my IIa. How have any of you guys connected the end to the RN mansfield heater valve? Any Ideas or pics that would help

Bostonian1976
11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
I have no heater control....mine's either on or off lol

Jeff Aronson
11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Most land rover heaters except the "shinburner" are fresh air units. If you are really cold you could modify the air intake to pull preheated air from your interior just like recirculate on later cars. I have seen this done on rovers in NW Canada, but I can't remember the actual setup except the air in was in the passenger footwell.

I have seen the heater distribution box pictured on a few rovers, I think rover even sold it as a kit because I have seen them on older S2 rovers or the owner retro-fitted them.

If you are looking for info on Kodiaks heaters try HERE (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/kodiaksite/kodiak.html).
You have one of the rarer transitional Land Rovers, based on the interior of your car. The dashboard resembles that of the early II-A, but the black fascia and the Leyland style toggle switches and gauges indicate it's the same as the "bugeye," as noted earlier.

My two '66 Land Rovers have two different heaters; one came with the Kodiak unit and the other started with the Kodiak but was converted to the Rovers North Mansfield heater. The former does not have an intake hole in the wing; the latter requires it as a fresh air intake.

Both work well, but the Mansfield heater is so effective that it really needs the two speed blower. When it's above freezing, there's too much heat from the Mansfield if I have the blower motor on "high." With effective door seals, the Mansfield heater makes the car very usable without much pain even in the coldest of northern New England temperatures. Also, it exchanges heat so well that I have to install a summer thermostat in the warmer weather to preclude overheating. The winter thermostat is perfect for warming up the temperature that much higher for effective heating this time of year.

My Kodiaks had only the twin doors to provide additional warmth for the passenger. My Mansfield installation uses the Kodiak heater box in the passenger compartment for a more "original' look.

Stay warm!

Jeff