PDA

View Full Version : Another problem with new engine

mduark
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Well I palyed with the throttle linkage and think I figured it out. I installed the new distributer and have not found the correct timing but found two new potental problems: Leaky engine cover and noticed gas pooling on the inlet manifold gasket! The engine cover was installed with a new gasket and the bolts were tightened as snug as possible without stripping the threads but now with the engine having the fluids in it is leaking coolant from the top of the cover. It is a small leak but once under operating pressure it will certainly open up further. More improtantly for safety reasons, I have noticed fuel gathering behind the distributor on the intake manifold gasket! I have been trying to start the engine to no avail and have been cranking the ingition accordingly. I don't know exactly where the fuel is coming from. It does not seem to be coming from the fuel rail (which was renewed as a result of cross threading incident). It must be from the injectors themselves. Does that make sense? Or has the intake manifold itself not been properly installed? Installing the manifold as well as the injectors seemed straight forward so I am at a loss. I have not taken the time to remove the intake assembly as I am also supposed to be writing my masters thesis now as well. Has anyone come across this before? Any help and guidance will be most helpful.
Does anyone have an extra engine cover with the poly-V set up used and in great condition?

Thanks

Mark Douglas
93 LWB 190K

phoenix
11-21-2007, 08:33 PM
fuel leak probably due to a bad injector seal or "o" ring, coolant ? your guess is as good as mine, engine not running due to distribuitor replacement, turn the dist. 180 degrees from current setting.

Dan
11-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Did you make sure that the rotor matches up with #1 cylinder post when the #1 cylinder is at the end of its compression stroke. Is the coil poping out voltage when it sould. The injector O rings sound like a good idea for the fuel but as for the coolent, sounds like there is something not matching up on the heads. Did you use a new intake gasget? did you torqe the intake bolts down the right # of lbs