PDA

View Full Version : oil problem

skarvo
11-11-2006, 09:23 PM
i have a 1995 discovery and the oil light came on and the lifters are making noise the oil is not getting into the engine and the regulator was changed, is it the oil pump or the sump?? any help is appreciated.

Leslie
11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I doubt that it is the pump itself, but, never say never....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a clogged screen on the bottom of your oil pickup tube inside of the sump. Unfortunately, these engines aren't happy when sludgy.....

jviss
11-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Mine's a 1999 Disco I. Soon after I bought it at about 51,000 miles in 2004 the oil light would stay on after starting for perhaps 45 seconds, then extinguish. After several weeks of use, the light would come on with the engine rev'd, and under load, then extinguish at idle. No trouble found at the shop. An oil change cleared this up.

Two years later, and it started acting up again. This time, same symptoms, light off at idle, on when rev'd, and then constant on, and valve noise.

Changed the oil and filter, light off, even when rev'd high, but then shortly after (same day),
constant oil light on, and more valve noise.

This car did not have regular oil changes.

Suspecting a sludge build up problem, my plan is to attempt to flush out the sump (with kerosene), fill, soak, and drain once or twice, refill with oil, and try again. Next escalation will be to drop the sump and inspect inside, and inspect the oil pickup screen. Next escalation will be to check the oil pressure relief assembly (spring in particular), and then finally tear down to the pump.

Please, any suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

jv

singingcamel
11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
i would say your oil pump spring is weak or the pump is worn, easy fix. replace it .marc
http://singingcamel.com

jviss
11-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks Marc. I don't know what spring you are referring to, do you mean the over pressure relief spring? Also, do you mean to say the pump replacement is an easy fix? How so?

Thanks,

jv

singingcamel
11-14-2006, 01:37 PM
yes , i've seen the springs become weak and all gummed up.
replacing the oil pump , 1995 should be a seperate pump, 4.0 l its part of ther front engine cover.
if your 's is a 3.9 l. buy the pump pull off the old one,replace it.don't forget the gasket and coat the new pump with vaseline to prime the new pump.marc

singingcamel
11-14-2006, 01:49 PM
jv, i would check your conection to the oil pump, it may be loose, seen it before. since your top end isn't making any noise i would not think it's a oil pump problem...marc

Mine's a 1999 Disco I. Soon after I bought it at about 51,000 miles in 2004 the oil light would stay on after starting for perhaps 45 seconds, then extinguish. After several weeks of use, the light would come on with the engine rev'd, and under load, then extinguish at idle. No trouble found at the shop. An oil change cleared this up.

Two years later, and it started acting up again. This time, same symptoms, light off at idle, on when rev'd, and then constant on, and valve noise.

Changed the oil and filter, light off, even when rev'd high, but then shortly after (same day),
constant oil light on, and more valve noise.

Suspecting a sludge build up problem, my plan is to attempt to flush out the sump (with kerosene), fill, soak, and drain once or twice, refill with oil, and try again. Next escalation will be to drop the sump and inspect inside, and inspect the oil pickup screen. Next escalation will be to check the oil pressure relief assembly (spring in particular), and then finally tear down to the pump.

Please, any suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

jv

jviss
11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
jv, i would check your conection to the oil pump, it may be loose, seen it before. since your top end isn't making any noise i would not think it's a oil pump problem...marc

No, there is top end noise, i.e., valve noise I mentioned - it sounded like a collapsed hydraulic lifter - which I'm sure it was.

skarvo
11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks, it is a 3.9 we just bought it knowing this problems for a good deal and towed it home about 150 miles. valve noise. i think we will change the pump and gasket and seet what happens. it registers on the stick fine but dont have alot of experience with the car yet will find out more tomorrow as we explore. thanks again.

jviss
11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
So, I'm interested in what happened to SKARVO's car - what was it?

Mine's in the shop, the telephone diagnosis indicates it may be worn main and big end bearings - which means a replacement engine, or a rebuild. Bad news!

skarvo
12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
We decided to drop the oil pan and check the sump and the screen. Sure enough this fixed the problem but now i have a heating problem that i've posted, replaced the thermostat as it seemed to be stuck open. worked for a day and now my temp gauge is finally working and being steady but i lost my heat. thermostat is opening and closing like it should now but lost my heat, ice cold, today.??????????????:confused:

jviss
12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Glad to hear your oil problem is solved. Mine is too - and it was also a dirty screen on the oil pick-up. Apparently these engines can sludge-up, and the screen clogs. The solution is to drop the pan, wash it out and clean the screen.

JSalyer
12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
:thumb-up: On a related topic, if you do a top end overhaul(ie valve job, valve seals, have the heads cleaned thoroughly) and you find your cam lobes look like crap and are looking at a cam change(typical problem, a lot of the first owners of these cars where soccer mommies with no idea what an oil service was), you can save some money on new lifters from NAPA. I will have to dig in my boxes of crap, but the Napa lifter for a 63-65 Buick engine are identical(Remember this is a GM engine from early 60's). I will try to get the part number and post. But if you take a lifter out and go to NAPA, and order one in(they had one instock the first time I did this!!) you will find they are identical(yes I measured them too with calipers/mic etc). They where like $4.00 each at the time. I used these in my sons RR, my RR, and my wifes Disco. Always put some assembly lube on all contact surfaces(cam side and push rod side of lifter/rocker arms) when reassembling so no wear on first start up. Nothing will wake up a high mileage RR or Disco 1 better than a top end overhaul!! Some of these engines are truly frightening upon removal of the valleypan gasket(the big black gasket below the intake). I have removed POUNDS of sludge from cars before(you couldnt even see the lifters/pushrods/cam in one I did). This may sound crude, but these engines are very tough old things: I have stripped down to bare shortblock(ie take off heads, intake etc), removed oil pan(and the 10 pounds of sludge there too), high pressure cleaned the engine internally, externally, blown out with high pressure air, allow to dry(spray all with WD-40 to prevent rust, put it all back together and presto, a damn near new enginefor cheap. Do an oil change after 500 miles after reassembly to remove all of the assembly lube and sludge that was left. (YES I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL CRY ON THIS TECHNIQUE, BUT IV'E DONE THIS FOR SEVERAL FOLKS WHO DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A NEW ENGINE AND ALL OF THESE CARS ARE STILL GOING BETTER THAT WHEN MUFFY THE LAWYERS WIFE OWNED IT!!). Remember, Land Rover chose this engine for its simplicity, power(at least at the time), light weight(very few engines of the time where aluminum) and durability. This is an easy engine to work on, and if proper maintenance is followed, they last forever. My RR had 260K on it when I sold it, and my wifes Disco is at 235K now. Good luck!!

singingcamel
12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
glad you guys sorted out yuor oil problems,and a bid THANKS for the follow up..

skarvo
08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Well we're back!~! The landy got a nice new/used motor running like a top glad to say, i finally get to enjoy it at last, we also have just placed a post on here about my cruise control, it was working fine used it a couple of times and now the light comes on but it wont engage? any tips would help, and it was finally nice to give you guys a decent update we thank everyone for all their tips since we were new last year. thanks again, jim and sheila (skarvo)