PDA

View Full Version : newbe

yank
11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
This is my first post.
I picked up my first rover today, 1972 88". It is a little rough.
My first ? It came with a set of series 2 manuals. Are these at all useful for a series 3?
second ? The rear body has holes in the metal at the mounting points. Is there any way to repair the holes?
Third? Will the rear body off a series 2A fit on a series 3?
Phill

gudjeon
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the Landy world,

If you are looking for ser3 manuals:

http://www.seriestrek.com/manuals.html

They are all a little rough, but thats what gives them their charm. Ser2 manuals will do for most of what you need, but a computer printed copy of a needed section can keep the manual from greasy thumb prints:D. A good aluminum welder can repair holes in the ally, especially once the tub is off. I don't know about the ser3 tub fitting a 2 though.

Keep the oily side down,

Jon

Rat Patrol
11-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Welcome:thumb-up:

4flattires
11-24-2007, 09:56 PM
...and post some pics for all to see. :)

Jeff

Leslie
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
For your rear tub holes....

My rear tub was preatty beat, so what I did.....

If you look at the two sides, what you can do is, remove the galvanized trim surrounding the lights (and across the top of the tub), and the lights, badge, etc. Take a pair of large rectangles of aluminum sheetmetal; for each one, put a bend along one vertical edge to slide into the doorframe, then on the outside edge, trim to match the waist curve of the side of the tub. You can then glue them over the existing panels. Then, replace all of the lights, badge, galvanized trim.

While you're at it, before you put the replacement panels on, if you remove the galvanized pieces that run along the underside of the tailgate/back door at the back edge of the tub, you can then take a long angle of aluminum sheet and put down to cover those other holes, then, replace those pieces. (I had those pieces off, but didn't over-cover the lower piece.)

FWIW....

yank
11-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Thank for the info. The aluminum venner sounds like a good idea until I hit the lottery. I will try to post pictures soon.

sayers
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Get the land rover official repair manuals from our host, it has a wealth of info and great pictures direct from land rover's factory personnel. It is well worth the $.