PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the correct heater hole placement?

thixon
11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I got my new foot boxes and door posts in today. The passenger side does'nt have the cutout for the heater (mines a kodiak mark IV). Anyone know the correct size and placement of the hole for the heater. I'm assuming the cutout is the same size as that of the pedal cutouts on the driver side.

By the way, I need this info because I have no frame of reference. The previous owner tried a repair on the bulkhead by replacing the passenger footbox. He couldn't weld worth a crap, so he finished with bondo, and never made the cutout for the heater, so I have nothing to measure by. I could guess, but I'd like it to be correct. Anyway, I'm faced with tearing apart his bad repair attempt, in addition to fixing the portions he did'nt have the intestinal fortitude to try. Oh joy. I'll assemble a set of photos as I go for posterity, and share them when I finish.

Thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

jp-
11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
He couldn't weld worth a crap, so he finished with bondo...

Bondo, the unweld.

Most that can't weld, or don't care to, enjoy using fiberglass. I have found it on many cars.

The heater cutout is not the same size as the pedal cutouts. The best thing to do is to use the heater to measure the size of the hole that you need, and then cut it to that. Really it's not a big deal, just make sure that you do a test fit before you cut anything. You have to leave yourself enough room for the fresh air intake.

thixon
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
my fresh air intake runs to the front of the truck, and out the bottom right corner of the breakfast. (I assume your talking about the fresh air intake for the heater that usually inters from the side of the truck?)

I'm really not comfortable with winging it. I shucked out the extra bucks for the dimpled footwells, and intend to fab up the stiffener thats not present on the passenger side replacement footbox (either my new one, or the one the previous owner ruined in his attempted repair). I've got the stiffener from the drivers side, that I thought I could use to make a template, but based on what you're telling me, the stiffener and holes on the passender side are different sizes.

I'd like to make a pretty close to factory repair here. But, If I can't, I can't. Unfortuntaly, I live in the south. Not many rovers around here.

Travis

thixon
11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Well,

Thanks to Les from our gracious hosts, I've learned something. Since Kodiaks were a dealer option offerend in North America, they were all custom fitted. You'd think that would have occured to me. I can be thick skulled sometimes. So I guess I'll cut and drill wherever I feel is the appropriate place!

thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

luckyjoe
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Measure twice! You need to be sure to position the hole to allow clearance for the distribution box inside the foot-well. I have the Mk.IV in my 109. I will take some location dimensions for you. I believe I also have a template I made for the hole, and I may even have installation instructions.

For the Kodiak Mk.IV:
- The pedal hole needs to be enlarged (Kodiak airway is larger than the stock hole).
- Fresh air feed is from the front grill, routed under the battery tray.

Below is a pre-installation photo of the parts.
http://www.series2forum.co.uk/Gallery/albums/userpics/10036/Kodiak1.jpg
I did not use Kodiak controls, instead I used a choke cable for the air control flap, choke cable for the water control (VW globe valve), and a Lucas toggle for the fan motor.

Best heater you can put in a Series!

Regards,

daveb
11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
best bet is to cut the hole in the correct place. then enlarge as per the kodiak instructions.

you don't need the extra firewall stiffener on the heater side. it is there just for the pedals and steering box so they don't move as much. in fact all it ddoes is act as a trap for moisture so you can do this again in another 20-30 years :)

daveb
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
had the same problwem earlier this year:

these are the dims I used. The guy who sent them was in sweden so they are in mm. but they worked for mounting the MkIII kodiak. don't know if the MK. IV uses the ssame hole tho.

this is for the size and location of the innermost RH side pedal mounting hole. That is the recatngular hole that the clutch pedal would mount to on a RHD.

1) the distance from the front of the footbox to the bottom of the hole

12mm

2) the distance from the left side of the footbox to the left edge of the hole

86mm

3) the distance from the top of the footbox where it meets the vertical section of the firewall to the top edge of the hole

140mm

rgrds
dave in dc

[quote=thixon]I got my new foot boxes and door posts in today. The passenger side does'nt have the cutout for the heater (mines a kodiak mark IV). Anyone know the correct size and placement of the hole for the heater. I'm assuming the cutout is the same size as that of the pedal cutouts on the driver side.