PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Woes

Hawaii_SIII
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
All:

I am a new member having just bought my first Landy a month ago. It's a '94 SIII RHD with a 2.25 diesel. I was driving it around late last week and had a problem with the clutch. I had the pedal all the way to the floor and the gear was still slightly engaged :(. I think there might have been a little air in the line because when I bled it yesterday (that's a whole different experience) some air did come out and the pedel firmed up. There is still some play since I have to have the pedel almost to the floor to get the clutch to engage. Is this a sign I need a new master cylinder or lines? Any pointer or tips would be greatly helpful. :thumb-up:

friar mike
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
All:

I am a new member having just bought my first Landy a month ago. It's a '94 SIII RHD with a 2.25 diesel. I was driving it around late last week and had a problem with the clutch. I had the pedal all the way to the floor and the gear was still slightly engaged :(. I think there might have been a little air in the line because when I bled it yesterday (that's a whole different experience) some air did come out and the pedel firmed up. There is still some play since I have to have the pedel almost to the floor to get the clutch to engage. Is this a sign I need a new master cylinder or lines? Any pointer or tips would be greatly helpful. :thumb-up:
A 94 SIII:confused: is that right.:confused: you need to make sure all the air is out. if it got air in then there must be something needing work. check all the pivet points for wear you may need to replace some parts there ( I see this alot ) every little loss becouse of wear will add up to alot of loss in stroke. if the master or the slave is leaking rebuild or replace no biggie.:thumb-up:

Hawaii_SIII
11-27-2007, 12:48 AM
My mistake, it's a '74 SIII (must have fat fingered the keyboard). I used a vacuum pump to get most of the air out but i'll try and get some more out tom. Where should I start looking for the pivet points? I'm thinking if I end up replacing the master and slave cylinders, I might as well replace the lines as well since they are 35+ years old anyway. You should have seen the hydraulic fluid that came out while I bleeding.

friar mike
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
My mistake, it's a '74 SIII (must have fat fingered the keyboard). I used a vacuum pump to get most of the air out but i'll try and get some more out tom. Where should I start looking for the pivet points? I'm thinking if I end up replacing the master and slave cylinders, I might as well replace the lines as well since they are 35+ years old anyway. You should have seen the hydraulic fluid that came out while I bleeding.
Pivet points are where the peddle meets the master cly where the slave cly meets the clutch arm and such.

LaneRover
11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Also check the arm that goes into the bellhousing to actuate the clutch. Those Clevis pins can wear causing some slack.

Brent