PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge 88°c read out?

KSMTAW
11-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Hello,

I am running an 88°c thermostat in my 1970 IIA 88 petrol with my stock temp gauge.

Does anybody else use the 88°c thermo? If so, where does the needle on your temp gauge usually stay?

My needle runs just into the red.

I know there is not an overheating problem because I checked it with a thermostat and temporarily installed and aftermarket gauge. it reads no more than 190°F.

I replaced the sender and voltage stabilizer, radiator cap, fan belt tension is per spec. And by the way, my fuel gauge works fine.

Where does your gauge read with an 88°c thermostat?

Thanks
Todd
Southern Maine

BackInA88
11-27-2007, 05:58 AM
I was running a 72c which ran right in the center of the "N".
I switched to an 82c for this winter (to get a little more heat) and now it runs centered between the "N" and the red.
So it sounds like your gage is reading about right.

Steve

sven
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I have an 82 degree (year round) and it was dead center inside the N range. But then I overheated it and ended up yanking the head off. But thats another story :D

luckyjoe
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I run an 88C t-stat year round, and have a Smiths dual gauge (water-temp/oil-pressure) which reads in degrees. The gauge sits at 88C (verified with an IR thermometer). I add a rad muff in Winter.

If your cooling system is in good shape, and you're not repeatedly bogging in deep desert sand, I see no reason to run a cooler t-stat in North America.

Regards,

KSMTAW
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Tom-

I agree about using the 88°c year round. I run with the radiator muff in the winter as well.

My gauge does not read out in degrees. it has a bar that rises and falls. Just like my fuel gauge. It is a stock gauge, jager or smiths.

Ever since I swithced to the 88°, my gauge climbes just into the red zone. I have also verified that no where on my engine does the temp rise above 88°. I suspect that my gauge is not working properly. It seems to be reading too high. Or it could be the sender unit- even though it is brand new.

Thanks Tom-

yorker
11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I run an 88 degree all year round and it only enters the bottom of red on the hottest days of summer. It is pretty subjective though with that gauge. As long as you KNOW it is running at 88c and you aren't trruly overheating then you should be ok, if you are really concerned I'd consider a different gauge with real readings on it.