PDA

View Full Version : Help Save Moab!!!!!!

Michael Slade
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Since it appears this is the most widely-viewed forum, I'll post here...

Alright boys and girls. This is it! The final push. Anyone and everyone needs to put a short letter together TODAY!!!!! Even if you never do anything else about land use do this one thing, please, please, please.

The new Moab Resource Management Plan will be finalized by next summer. Depending on how things go, somewhere between 3300 and 3900 miles of EXISTING, DOCUMENTED routes WILL be closed. Keep it closer to 3300 by spending a few minutes reading this post.

The public comment period is open until Friday November 30th!

Your comments will determine how many miles and trails are lost.

Here is a ton of information from Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association, Red Rock 4 Wheelers, Moab Friends-For-Wheelin', and Blueribbon Coalition:

http://www.u4wda.org/documents/U4WDA.Moab.Information.pdf

Please, please, please, take a few minutes to download this document and read it before submitting your comments. We need substantive comments.

Page 7 lists the most important 4x4 specific issues.

Page 15 lists an awesome sample comment letter by BRC.

Page 18 is the official comment letter from Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association.

Page 3 has the address/email for submitting comments

We also have some sweet map comparisons here:

http://www.u4wda.org/moab

A high-up anti-OHV rep boasted that we wouldn't even come close to matching the number of comments they will submit. They are counting on the apathy of 4x4 users to institute these closures in Moab. Don't let them win!

Spend 10 minutes to help save a trail!

FAQ:

Q: Why don't you just list the email address to submit comments?
A: Comments need to be substantive! Simple comments like, "please keep the roads open" or "I support OHV recreation" are worthless and will be discarded. Take a few minutes to read through the information provided, and submit your own comments.

Q: Why don't we use an automated "letter writer" online to submit comments?
A: Automatically generated comments are worthless! These comments are counted as ONE comment even if 10,000 people send in the email. The comments need to be personal, unique, and informed.

Q: Isn't this a little late notice?
A: Information about the RMP has been available for months all over the Internet, in publications, and on numerous online forums. But it's not too late! Submit your comments today!

PLEASE submit this to any off-road forums you visit...even international non-USA ones. EVERYONE can comment, regardless of nationality. Moab is legendary world-wide, I'm sure others would not like it being shut down the way it is being proposed.

leafsprung
11-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks mike. This is important, do something folks

TeriAnn
11-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Alright boys and girls. This is it! The final push. Anyone and everyone needs to put a short letter together TODAY!!!!! Even if you never do anything else about land use do this one thing, please, please, please.

The new Moab Resource Management Plan will be finalized by next summer. Depending on how things go, somewhere between 3300 and 3900 miles of EXISTING, DOCUMENTED routes WILL be closed.

The public comment period is open until Friday November 30th!

Your comments will determine how many miles and trails are lost.

Here is a ton of information from Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association, Red Rock 4 Wheelers, Moab Friends-For-Wheelin', and Blueribbon Coalition:

http://www.u4wda.org/documents/U4WDA.Moab.Information.pdf

Please, please, please, take a few minutes to download this document and read it before submitting your comments. We need substantive comments.

As someone who loves to tour the Moab area I agree that feedback is important to save as many trails as possible. My feedback letter is out in the hope that it will help.

It took a slightly different track that has been suggested:

"My chief concerns fall into two broad areas: access to public lands for people with disabilities, the elderly and families and the environmental impact of concentrating people into smaller use areas."

Come on folks! write now for the right to keep traveling Moab trails and camping in your favorite trail side locations. Thanks for the heads up Michael.

Michael Slade
11-29-2007, 08:01 AM
It took a slightly different track that has been suggested:

"My chief concerns fall into two broad areas: access to public lands for people with disabilities, the elderly and families and the environmental impact of concentrating people into smaller use areas."

Very nice...I like your style.

Come on people, only two more days!

jp-
11-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Dear BLM sucko’s,

Why is it that with our government crumbling, rampant illegal immigration, war, devaluing dollar, etc… all you can think about is shutting down recreational areas already designated for public use? Do you actually intend to build fencing around all of the sites in Moab that you think man may “corrupt?” In what twisted, brain dead world do you live?

May I suggest that you focus your efforts on any one of the REAL issues facing our country and keep your damn dirty ape paws off the one true thing Americans still love, exploration. That is what the openness of Moab is for.

As for the fencing, we could use an 800+ mile one on our southern border; so how about campaigning for that? Have you even seen the environmentally devastating amount of trash left by illegal aliens on their way to America? Watch the news sometime, and try standing up for America for once.

Michael Slade
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Alright, so what's your real letter going to say?

The BLM will laugh at that diatribe. I might agree with what you say, but the BLM in Moab has nothing to do with the issues you raise.

Offer a constructive letter instead of just bitching and you might be taken more seriously.

jp-
11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
OK.