PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ignition and battery keeps dying

masonater
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I need some help. My 95 RRC brooklands has had the key stuck in the ignition for a couple weeks now and i cant turn it all the way off, so my battery keeps dying. ive tried everything from lock lubes, moving the steering wheel while trying to take it out, and ive used a little bit of force but not so much as to break the key off or i would be really screwed. It moves just fine between the II position and run (III?) but i cannot get it past half way from II to I to take the key out. I have a feeling it has something to do with the ghetto rover dealer on the cape cutting me a new key not that long ago. Any help would be great because its getting a little old connecting and disconnecting the battery every time i drive so it wont die
Thanks, Mason

joshua.mcguoirk
12-01-2007, 08:34 AM
I need some help. My 95 RRC brooklands has had the key stuck in the ignition for a couple weeks now and i cant turn it all the way off, so my battery keeps dying. ive tried everything from lock lubes, moving the steering wheel while trying to take it out, and ive used a little bit of force but not so much as to break the key off or i would be really screwed. It moves just fine between the II position and run (III?) but i cannot get it past half way from II to I to take the key out. I have a feeling it has something to do with the ghetto rover dealer on the cape cutting me a new key not that long ago. Any help would be great because its getting a little old connecting and disconnecting the battery every time i drive so it wont die
Thanks, Mason

Position I is accessory, Position II is run and Position III is start. If you are unable to get the key out of the ignition you will have to replace the lock assembly. Not terribly difficult. The only issue is having multiple keys for the vehicle. 1 for doors and 1 for ignition.

mm_putnam@yahoo.com
12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Here's a link to a possible cause/solution to the stuck key from landroversonly.com
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f52/if-your-key-gets-stuck-ignition-do-17630/
The part in question is a small flat squarish plate (about 1/2" square apparently) on top of a vertical mounted shaft that goes up and down). Once in drive a screwdriver can be used to lift that square and release the key.
I went through the repair/adjustment and added both liquid lube and graphite. I didn't feel either made the Parking safety switch fire well all of the time but I realized in testing that it only 'locked' the key in the ignition when I turned the car off with the shifter in someting other than Park (and prob Neutral). Once unlocked, as long as I have it in Park first the key never locks in the ignition.
Also - I saw a thread about taking a tool such as a pair of forceps, grinding them down, and using them on either side of the key in the ignition. Supposedly by pushing either side of ignition 'in' a stuck key can be released. I suspect that is a different cause than the above link.