PDA

View Full Version : unusually worn brakes pads...help!!

discocrazy
11-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I installed EBC brake pads and rotors about a year and a half ago, and i was recently rotating my tires, and i discovered that my front pads were not even worn but my back brake pads were almost completely worn. So obviously it shouldn't be like that, can anyone tell me what may cause this. Its stops really good but i'm sure it could stop really good if the front brakes worked

Dan
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds like for some reason the rear brakes are getting the brunt of the power when you step on the brakes. I am assuming you have ABS. There may be something malfuntioning with the ABS booster or computer. I would try bleeding the entire system with new fluid. The rover systems do not like dirty flued. Changing the fluid is actually parts of the preventive maintnence scedual. Mabey changing the fluid might clean something up in the booster that making it screw up?

discocrazy
11-27-2007, 07:59 PM
What kind of procedure is it to flush and change the brake fluid system

Dan
11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
The CD manual tells how to do it, and it wouldn't hurt to Give DAP a ring, they will give you a good idea how to do it, I had ABS brakes but I ripped them all out and am going to replace them with a vacome booster and master cylinder. They also might have a better idea about what might be wrong. they are a real good shop!

bkarow
12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
The brake system once had an equalizer valve in the system that balanced the hydraulic force between front and rear brake circuits. It sounds like the system builds more pressure in the rear than in the front, or that the pressure is not released in the rear when you take your foot off the brake. If you have a brake schematic for your vehicle, check it for a valve between the front and rear circuits. If there isn't a valve, check and mske sure that the pistons can move freely and retract a bit when the pressure is taken off the brake pedal. Are your rear rotors warped as well? If the brakes have been dragging the rotors will probably be warped.

B

discocrazy
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info! Do you have any idea if the proportioning valve is in the brake servo assembly, master cylinder, or the abs modulator

KevinNY
12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
This wear pattern is not at all unusual on a D2, rears go first. Especially if you wheel it, ETC is hell on pads.

Tom
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
This wear pattern is not at all unusual on a D2, rears go first. Especially if you wheel it, ETC is hell on pads.

Agreed... I had to replace my rear brakes long before the fronts. And yes, I wheel it. :thumb-up:

bkarow
12-07-2007, 02:11 PM
The valve I'm referencing was in the brake line as a stand alone component. Check the brake system graphic and look for a place where a single line serves the rear brakes. Once the system becomes a single feed to the rear brake cylinders the check valve will be in that line, if there still is such a component. I've not looked for this on my own truck. My comment is based on experience with a 1989 RR.