PDA

View Full Version : ex-MOD ignition switch different?

Dubv1980
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
My friend has a '76 ex-MOD 109 on which the ignition key switch is completely fouled up on. In looking at it, it is also completely different than the switch on my '73 North American spec Series III. It looks as if the unit is integral with the steering column. I haven't seen this part listed anywhere for sale...is there a difference? If anyone can shed any light on this...I'm all ears!

Chris

daveb
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
probably the steering lock variety. you can drill out the screws holding it on and either rebuid or replace. you can probably replace it with the typical US SIII unit.

My friend has a '76 ex-MOD 109 on which the ignition key switch is completely fouled up on. In looking at it, it is also completely different than the switch on my '73 North American spec Series III. It looks as if the unit is integral with the steering column. I haven't seen this part listed anywhere for sale...is there a difference? If anyone can shed any light on this...I'm all ears!

Chris

siiirhd88
11-29-2007, 07:35 AM
My '80 SIII had a similar locking column mounted switch. When if finally broke I replaced the entire assembly with the earlier SIII non locking switch and bracket. The original bolts that mount the lock assembly to the column had a very small cross section that would shear off the bolt head when torqued. This prevented just unbolting the mount.... What you should see is a flathead with a bump in the middle where the head sheared. You can take a chisel or punch and with a hammer "turn" the remaining bolts loose. The earlier SIII bracket will just clamp to the column, and can be adjusted to have the key in the same location as your locking switch.

Bob

Dubv1980
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Thank you guys...we'll be working on this this weekend.

Chris