PDA

View Full Version : she be a surgin' and smokin'!

ajones
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I have read previous threads regarding other series owners whose trucks surge sometimes. My problem is this: after having driven for awhile, i.e. more than 15 minutes, running errands, stop and go traffic; my '64 SIIA 88in starts to surge and buck. It only does it when accelerating, if I let off the pedal it smoothes right out but starts again if I try to accelerate. During the summer it is worse and if I shut if off it won't restart. Today being warmer, high 60's, it began to act up slightly but seemed to stop once I got up to 55 for an extended period. I have replaced distributor cap, plugs, plug wires, and points. Nada. Lastly, she burns smoke on start up but not while running. A friend, non-Rover just gearhead, said oh it’s your valve seals. Any ideas?

jp-
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Most likely a fuel related problem. Clogged filter, clogged pickup tube, pump going bad, etc... Could also be vapor lock, but I'd tend to doubt it being only 60 degrees.

Your friend is probably correct about the valve seals.

ajones
11-30-2007, 02:53 PM
JP,
New fuel filter and replaced the pump two years ago. So, I will checked the pick up tube, it wasn't clogged. some slight debris but not enough to starve flow. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was vapor lock b/c of not starting after a running for awhile.

jp-
11-30-2007, 03:32 PM
You're not going to like my answer, but it is this: The next time the problem occurs, you need to pull over, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and verify that you have good flow coming out of the pipe. A friend will be helpful here, as well as a glass jar, fire extinguisher (just in case), and a few rags.

Once the line is disconnected, have the friend turn the engine over a few times while you watch the fuel coming out. Good flow should be obvious to spot. A small jar should be at least half full (half empty?) with just turning the motor over a few times (maybe five or six).

If the problem is vapor lock, the fuel line should be very hot to the touch.

jp-
11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I also forgot to mention that you need to check the filter screen on the glass bowl side of the fuel pump. Very rarely does this get checked.