PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 Petrol Ignition timing

Daurie
11-30-2007, 07:09 PM
How are you guys setting the ignition timing with an electronic ignition? I'm new on the scene and trying to figure a few things out! I went to set the timing and in the manual it spells out pretty clearly how to set with points. However I have a Pertronics electronic unit and my timing light shows my timing pretty far advanced. This is probably a silly question but any help or a simple walkthrough would be great.

Thanks!

sven
12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
You would adjust it the same way that you would do with points. The reason its more advanced now is that the position of the pertronix unit is a few degrees advanced than the points were. So you should retard the timing to prevent detonation or overheating.

Daurie
12-01-2007, 01:11 PM
You would adjust it the same way that you would do with points. The reason its more advanced now is that the position of the pertronix unit is a few degrees advanced than the points were. So you should retard the timing to prevent detonation or overheating.

I emailed Turner Engineering and asked them what timing they recommend for an 8:1 compression 2.25 with an electronic ign. They told me somewhere between 3 and 6 deg BTDC. At this point I have it set with a timing light at 0 deg with the vac. advance disconnected. This setting is obviously retarded compared to the previous setting as I can barely pull 50 MPH in 4th + overdrive. Previously she would run 65 on the interstate smoothly. I'm interested to get some feedback on what your top speeds are.

scott
12-01-2007, 01:55 PM
i'm still using the blue points, w/ od my 88 will cruise at 60 mph maybe even 65.

i use the beer timing. get the air,fuel and idle adjusted to give you the highest vacuum reading you can get at 700 rpms, then adjust the timing so that the surface of the pint sitting on the wing is as still as if it were on a bar