PDA

View Full Version : Where should the clutch "bite"?

alaskajosh
12-01-2007, 02:03 AM
SIII clutch. Don't know it's history. Clutch engages and disengages right near the top of the pedal travel.

Is this necessarily an indication of the plate's condition? Or more an issue of MC push rod adjustment? If I'm not mistaken, there are no adjustments to be made at the SIII slave cylinder.

No doubt I can change the "Point Of Bite" with the MC push rod adjustment.. but am I just ignoring a looming issue with a worn plate?

Thank you, gents, for your time!

Josh

BellaCoola
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I just purchased a SIII which apparently has had the clutch redon 8,000 km ago. Mine also release almost at the top of the pedal.

My LR "advisor" who drove the vehicle prior to the purchase also noted how hight the clutch felt.

I don't have any slipping and all the gears seem to engage smoothly so mabey this is just the way it is:confused:????

I'm also curious to determine if this is correct...my two cents....

scott
12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
i think our mc's are the same, i've a iia. when i replaced mine i had ill adjusted the mc push rod and was not allowing the cylinder to retreat far enough to allow the pressure to bleed off. while on the test drive my pedal got harder and hard 'til the flex line to the slave blew. so in adjusting your push rod such that the clutch engages sooner (closer to the floor) you may experience this pressure build up condition. when my clutch went i first noticed a small psuedo power surge a couple of seconds after letting out the clutch. then while motoring up a big incline i felt the old girl just slowing to a crawl and the smell of burnt clutch. then i had to pull the tranny nd replace the clutch. next time i think i'd pull the engine instead

Dav1550
12-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Had a similar thing going on with mine...... as in having to adjust the clutch peddle up to get the clutch to bite.

Try going back and re-set, adjust the peddle at MC shaft...... move it a bit up the shaft towards the MC and see if that will not give an earlier bite.

Dave

74 SIIIsw
00 SII