PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

Enigma
12-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I have 2 series 2 rovers with the original headlight configuration. They work fine but I would like to convert them to more modern hi intensity bulb usage. I notice that some jeeps (excuse my language) have the 7 in bulb config. Has anyone out there tried to convert their headlights to the more modern use and if so what could I find say, in a wrecking yard that would fit

greenmeanie
12-01-2007, 07:45 PM
7" halogen sealed beams from any auto parts store should fit. You might want to convert to the three pin plug too but that's your choice. With moving up to halogens it is a wise time to install relays and a fuse specifically for the lights. The reduced feeder drop by taking a feed directly from the battery and avoiding the switch will make your lights oodles brighter. IIRC a 1V drop in volts at the bulb = 20 or 30% drop in light intesity.

I've done this to my late IIA & my 101 with good results.

Cheers
Gregor

jac04
12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I have always upgraded to the Hella E-code 7" round headlights with H4 bulbs in my Rovers. They install easily with no modifications required (although a relay set up like greenmeanie suggested is a great idea). IMO, they are far superior to the sealed beam units.

If you are really serious about your headlights, I suggest contacting someone like http://lightwerkz.net/index.htm to see if a bi-xenon HID retrofit can be done.

Jim-ME
12-02-2007, 08:24 AM
I have been told that as long as you replace the headlights with ones of the same wattage you can change quite easily to hallogens. I've switched to Slyvania Superwhite sealed units and the light output is great. If the replacement are of higher wattage you will need to go with relays and upgraded wiring.
Jim

greenmeanie
12-02-2007, 08:55 AM
My biggest benefit to upgrading to relays is that it made me look at the wiring on my truck. Everything in the engine bay looked old but OK. Behind the dash, however, the insulation on the headlight power wire had completely disintegrated leaving just the bare wire. I was a little embarassed that I had let it get like that but it was good to catch it before any serious short occured. The minimal fusing on these trucks does worry me at times.

The moral of the story is that when doing any electrical upgrade have a good look at the harness too as they are all getting on in years and they do degrade over time.

Cheers
Gregor.

BackInA88
12-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I installed halogens but was worried about my old wiring.
Bought a relay harness from these guys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160141898726&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123
They did now have one up on eBay for a H4 listed at the time so I sent them an email though eBay and they sent me a link to what I needed.
I order one and picked the one for a Discovery because their site forced you to pick a vehcile.
It is a plug and play harness.
I stripped the yellow cover off the harness and electric taped it up to match.
You have to remove the spades from the plugs to route the wires into the bulb housings.
My old head light harness was falling apart as well. So I split the grommet from the old harness and peeled it off the rotted wiries, drilled the hole bigger in the gromet while holding it in a pair of pliers.
Put some RTV on the grommet and put it over the new harness and back it back in the hole of the head light housing to seal up the hole.
You need to mount the 2 relays as far to the right head light as possible so the wires will reach the right side.
I also did not use the plug and play feature because my old harness was so bad at the head light connectors so I cut and spiced and heat srunk at the bullet connectors from the head light switch feeds right to the new harness.
Make sure you include the feed back wire that goes to you high beam ligh on the dash.
Works great!!
Easier than building you own harness and having all the wiring splices at the head light housings for the plugs.

Steve

yorker
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Susquehanna Motorsports has nice Headlight Harness Upgrades etc:
http://www.rallylights.com/

Give them a try.