PDA

View Full Version : Melting steering wheel...

Jared
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
I can't be the only one with this problem....
In damp weather my steering wheel almost melts in my hand. It leaves my hands black with pieces of the wheel stuck to my hand.

What are the steering wheels made from? Why does it do this and besides wrapping the wheel....is there anything that can be applied to the wheel to prevent this?

leafsprung
12-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Three options:

-recast the wheel

-cover it

-paint with epoxy

Bostonian1976
12-02-2007, 06:00 AM
do you have the banjo wheel?

I think that one is made of Bakelite?

EASTTNROVER
12-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Mine does the same thing...I just give it a good wipe down before I leave.

Leslie
12-02-2007, 07:40 AM
lol.... the memories.... I remember some article long ago that implied that Series wheels were actually vulcanized sheep poo....

I agree with Ike; on mine, I epoxied it (mine had stress cracks too, made sure they were filled in well), then after the second coat of paint to start a protected base, I then would paint, sand, paint then sand, then did a top-coat, and would still recommend a cover over it even at that point ( I didnt sand so agressively as to have all the blemishes gone, I was more interested in building up strength and losing the tackiness than making it "pretty" ).

Jim-ME
12-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I just used one of Ike's wheel covers. Works great and has stopped the deterioration. If you waht to get real carried away you can buy a brand new one from our hosts. :)
Jim

TedW
12-02-2007, 02:27 PM
The wheel on my 1970 IIA was like goo so I bought a new one from RN. No problems now - a diffferent type of plastic or whatever that stays on the wheel, not on your hands.

SeaMiler
12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Mine does that too - I just wipe it down before I go and figure eventually all the paint/sheep poo will wipe off.

teechizpet
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
POR 15 sells a kit that solves the problem. Go to thier website. Mike M.

Hormel
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll second the leather steering wheel cover by Pangolin. A new banjo wheel was not in my budget. What I really liked about it was that it is thin enough it keeps the feel and look of the original wheel. Plan on 2-3 hours to sew on.
John

lrdukdog
12-05-2007, 06:53 AM
You can also use good quality bike handle bar wrap, Ike's is much better, but this wrap is quick and avalible locally. Use it while you wait for the quality wheel cover.
Jim Wolf
Elvenwood Kennel

daveb
12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
or wear gloves :)

You can also use good quality bike handle bar wrap, Ike's is much better, but this wrap is quick and avalible locally. Use it while you wait for the quality wheel cover.
Jim Wolf
Elvenwood Kennel