PDA

View Full Version : RADIATOR MUFFS

EASTTNROVER
12-02-2007, 06:17 AM
This is my first winter up in CT with the series. I have seen the muffs in the new RN news and wondering if they are essential for the winters up here. It's around 10 degrees out today, so if i should get one, now is the time... Thanks.

Jim-ME
12-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I live in Maine and love mine because it actually works. If you find that it works too well there are several snaps which allows you to partially or fully open it to permit air flow. They are easy to install because it simply slips over the grill. IMO they are one of the best accessories you can buy.
Jim

I Leak Oil
12-02-2007, 08:26 AM
I use a muff on my IIa also. Certainly makes a difference. The engine gets up to running temp quicker and so does the heater output! Plus it does a good job of keeping the engine dry during those occasional winter water crossings....
Jason T.

EASTTNROVER
12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I am going to go ahead and get one... Jake

friar mike
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I use a muff on my IIa also. Certainly makes a difference. The engine gets up to running temp quicker and so does the heater output! Plus it does a good job of keeping the engine dry during those occasional winter water crossings....
Jason T.
In the winter here in Alaska the water is a solid.

BackInA88
12-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Yeah you don't want that getting in your radiator!!!!

I got a RN muff and an 82c thremostat in my rig for the winter this year.
It gets warm enough now I can even take off my gloves!!:thumb-up:

SalemRover
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Jason T.

Well it doesn't help you if you manage to get stuck in said Icy river. It does help wipe frozen tears from people that tear apart their rear crossmember trying to tug you out though.

-Jason W.

I Leak Oil
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Well it doesn't help you if you manage to get stuck in said Icy river. It does help wipe frozen tears from people that tear apart their rear crossmember trying to tug you out though.

-Jason W.

Hey JW....You're the one that hooked me up to your truck. Besides, I made you that super-duper backing plate as a thankyou gift!
Jason T.

I Leak Oil
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Well that's no fun...Just to easy to cross!
Jason T.

SalemRover
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey JW....You're the one that hooked me up to your truck. Besides, I made you that super-duper backing plate as a thankyou gift!
Jason T.

Your right, I should of just driven off and laughed my way back to the base camp ;) You did make that super backing plate that I was missing though. Where is the fun in discussing Icy river crossings if I can't recall some pretty funny carnage :)

Jason W.

graniterover
12-02-2007, 07:33 PM

-Jason W.

I was crying from laughter when that happened. I was just thinking of that today when I was trying to get the hitch off an old truck so I can use it on another truck. The cross member is shot, yet with the stock backing plate still on, I cannot get the hitch to come off. I keep thinking I wish the person who put yours on, put mine on.

SalemRover
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I was crying from laughter when that happened. I was just thinking of that today when I was trying to get the hitch off an old truck so I can use it on another truck. The cross member is shot, yet with the stock backing plate still on, I cannot get the hitch to come off. I keep thinking I wish the person who put yours on, put mine on.

Glad to hear that someone enjoyed that as much as I did. Only a couple months til that fun event. I do have that backing plate installed but I am worried because the frame rails are starting to look a little punky where it meets the rear x-member.

Wonder what will brake this year?

I Leak Oil
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I enjoyed it too now that I think of it! As a matter of fact, I did think you were going to take off and leave me because as you pulled away I didn't feel any sort of pull from your truck. Then when I looked down on the ground and saw you're pintle hitch still attached to the recovery line I figured you might want to come back for it.
Jason T.