PDA

View Full Version : Parabolic installation issues...

B. Wallace
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I recently recieved my parabolic kit from our host onto my Series III 88 after 3 months of anxious waiting. I have since installed the springs and shocks, and have run into some issues that I hoped someone on here may have knowledge of. Every person that I have mentioned the word parabolic to in town has simply given me a blank stare...

1. To make things clear, before the parabolics, I had the original springs and shocks, which were old and worn out and sagging, but the vehicle WAS in alignment and tracked well.

2. Now, with the new springs and shocks, the rear axle seems to be shifted to the right side, in other words, my back wheels offset to the right of the vehicle compared to my front wheels. How is this possible considering the fact that the spring pin simply lines up with the recessed hole in the axle? I noticed that the left side of the rear axle is solid with the hole in the middle for the spring pin, while the right side is not solid, the entire "plate" that the spring sits up against is hollow, although there is still a separate round recessed hole in the center. So, yes, the springs are in the correct holes. I've checked repeatedly.

3. There seems to be some kind of grinding when I suddenly hit the gas or suddenly decelerate. It sounds like it's coming from the transmission or drive shaft, but I can't be certain. It almost seems like my driveshaft is at too extreme of an angle now, and that it might be rubbing at the yoke areas.
Could adding shims to the axle to decrease the driveshaft angle solve this?

4. And last, and probably least important at this point, there is a loud popping sound when I hit small bumps coming from the front right. Maybe the spring settling in, but it sounds like a blown shock or the shock itself bottoming out. Just one more problem...

If anyone on here has installed this kit from RN and has had similar issues, or just might know the answer otherwise, please let me know. I know I won't get very far with anyone locally, i.e. an alignment shop, I've already asked them too and they said there was "not much" they could do.

Jim-ME
12-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Have you tried calling RN? Their tech people are very good. No offense to the rest of the board and their knowledge.
Jim

sven
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Just curoius, what brand of parabolics are these? Rocky mountain, british spring, TIC?

B. Wallace
12-05-2007, 09:09 AM
I have called RN, but that was due to having to replace one of the rear springs. It was damaged, but that has nothing to do with these problems.

B. Wallace
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Just curoius, what brand of parabolics are these? Rocky mountain, british spring, TIC?

These are the springs that RN sells. They wouldn't tell me what brand they are.

daveb
12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
hey b.

check to make sure you have the correct shackles in the correct places.
the ones for the rear springs should be flat and the ones for the front springs
should be two flat and two with an offset.

retorque the ubolts, and make sure everything is tight.

also check the bushings aren't fubar'd.

also make sure you torque the shackle bolts correctly, i.e, run them up snug and then go for a drive around the block to settle everything. then come back and torque first the bolts and then the locking nuts.

rgrds
dave

jp-
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Need photos.

Most likely you have gotten one or more of the shackles in the wrong location.

There are two ways to mount the springs. The first is to bolt the springs to the axle case and then bolt the front of the spring to the front of the frame then jack up the whole assembly and bolt the rear into the frame.

The second method (that I use) is to suspend the axle case in place on jackstands and then bolt the springs front and rear to the frame. Then lower the axle case and bolt the springs to it. The reason that I like doing it this way is that the axle will drop nicely into the springs when the holes (in the axle case) line up with the center bolt in the springs. If they don't line up, or if you have messed something up, the axle case will not "drop down" correctly onto the springs. You must have the shackles in correct or it will not work.

jp-
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Why not? Did they give a reason?

B. Wallace
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Why not? Did they give a reason?

As I've seen with other postings before, its kind of like their proline parts; they won't disclose who actually produces them. The same with the springs, all he would say was that they were from the UK.

I didnt touch the shackles, and as far as I know, they have never been removed or re-oriented in any way.

I Leak Oil
12-05-2007, 04:54 PM
You should certainly call RN and get their input. You can try swapping the rear springs from one side to another and/or reverse them to see if the shift moves from the right to the left.
As for the driveline noise, quite often U-Joints will make a noise after changing the shaft angle. Older joints are worn in a certain way and when you change the angle you change the groove they run in. You didn't mention if you had extended shackles or not but if you have the standard shackles it's very unlikely that the angle would be affected enough to cause the yokes to bind.
The noise you describe in the front sounds like a chassis bushing gone bad or loose shackles.
Jason T.

LWB109
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
they won't disclose who actually produces them.

That has to be BS (and I don't mean british springs...) right???

I have a feeling this would cut way down on the number of springs sold.

alaskajosh
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM

It had this very effect on me. I asked one day, when placing an order for something else, whose paras they had chosen to sell and why. The man said, "I don't know".
I decided right then to go with RM... at least I'd KNOW what I'm getting into.

Hope all ends well for you, Mr Wallace--

B. Wallace
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
It had this very effect on me. I asked one day, when placing an order for something else, whose paras they had chosen to sell and why. The man said, "I don't know".
I decided right then to go with RM... at least I'd KNOW what I'm getting into.

Hope all ends well for you, Mr Wallace--

The reason I chose these spring over Rocky Mountain, after MUCH deliberation, was price, well actually shipping price. I was unable to find someone who could definitively point me in one direction over the other, and they ran about the same price, it just happened that I was able to get free shipping through RN, while Rocky Mt's were going to cost me about $200 to ship. I just hope it was worth it; like I previously mentioned, I've already had to recieve a replacement for one of the rear springs because the leaves were not arched the same as the others and the spring pin in the center was badly bent... I was hoping this was going to solve my issues, but that's not the case.

B. Wallace
12-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Feel free to call them and ask...

TeriAnn
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
As I've seen with other postings before, its kind of like their proline parts; they won't disclose who actually produces them. The same with the springs, all he would say was that they were from the UK.

I think that alone narrows it down to British Steel as I think they are the only company making parabolic springs in the UK.

I wonder why RN isn't willing to disclose the manufacturer of their non-genuine parts???? There are some really good OEM & aftermarket manufacturers out there that I would happily purchase parts from. But there are companies I try to avoid wherever possible. If I see that companies like Mintex or Delphi/Lookheed manufactured a brake shoe I'll happily buy the part over one in a LR box.

ctrover
12-06-2007, 06:06 AM
i replaced my old rear springs with proline standard leafs.Left side went in fine.I bent the right one while installing it so I ordered another at my cost and now installed that one.It still seems to sag a little. I think the quality of steel used is a big factor.I liked the price but im wondering if they bend that easily whats gonna happen on the trail loaded with camping gear?

sven
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
I tried asking the question here: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2116 But as you can see, no response from RN.

jp-
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
i replaced my old rear springs with proline standard leafs.Left side went in fine.I bent the right one while installing it so I ordered another at my cost and now installed that one.It still seems to sag a little. I think the quality of steel used is a big factor.I liked the price but im wondering if they bend that easily whats gonna happen on the trail loaded with camping gear?

How the hell did you bend a leaf spring? Do you mean that you permenantly changed the bend in it, or you just compressed it and it sprang back?

I have never permenantly bent a leaf spring, that wouldn't sit well with me.

jp-
12-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Now back to the thread.

My parabolics on the 88" are from British Steel (purchased from Paddock's). I have had no problems out of them. They installed fine and have not affected my driveshafts thus far.

Wallace,

I hate to say this, but you must have installed something wrong. There are only two other explanations if you didn't. 1. One of your new springs is badly bent (which should be fairly easy to spot). or 2. Your frame is badly bent (which should be easy to spot).

As for the rear tires being more to one side, can you measure this? How much to one side? Take a measurement to the brake drum on each side (not the tire). It is possible that one wheel has a different offset than the others and maybe you never noticed.

-"A man is usually wrong when he is most convinced that he is right."

Jim-ME
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
I've got RM parabolics installed by the PO and there doesn't seem to be any problem to date. Try switching the rear springs and see if that make any difference. As far as the driveshaft noise goes, you may very well have been facing U-joint problems and the parabolics just brought them out.
Jim

ctrover
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I bent it by jacking the spring up to the axel which was on jack stands.I place the pumpjack in between the axel and spring mount-jacked it up about 3 inches to the axel.Put on my ubolts and shock plate-tightened all the nuts-released the jack and there it was- a nice crimp in the spring.So i ordered another one thinking that It was my fault for bending it.So i tried again with a new one. This time I placed the pumpjack as close to shock plate as possible but still allowing me to get the ubolts and nuts on.Jacked it up less this time to the axel ,about an inch, which was on jack stands.Tightened everything up.Released jack.Noticed slight sag but not as bad as the first time.Truck is still a little tilted.

Bertha
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
I really like Rovers North and their parts quality has always been high HOWEVER, I have yet to hear anything good about there parabolic spings. I too almost got hooked into the cheaper shipping, but decided to hold off. If you cant get a straight answer from them, you should return the springs.

Donnie
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I really like Rovers North and their parts quality has always been high HOWEVER, I have yet to hear anything good about there parabolic spings. I too almost got hooked into the cheaper shipping, but decided to hold off. If you cant get a straight answer from them, you should return the springs.
This issue of springs "bending" has gotten my attention as I am about to buy 2 sets for my projects.....If a spring is soft enough to bend , it has to be really inferior quality steel, or perhaps made in 3rd world shops.. anybody see The New York Times last week, where the manhole covers for Manhatten were being cast in a foundry in India? Front page with photos..Sadly, a lot of our parts are being made in these primitive sweat shops.. I guess I better do some research before moving onward........

SHORLAND
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Price is soon forgotten quality is not!

With all the headaches some of you have been having I would be happy to pay an extra $200 more to for go the headaches. So the question now is who builds the absolute best Parabolic springs?

SHORLAND
12-06-2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

Are these guys high quality? I really like there Front Disc brake conversions and the Power steering unit. I would also like to go with Parabolic springs since you loose so much unsprung weight Or should I say Sprung weight. Anyway. I just wanted to hear if these guys are top notch or not. Thanks.

O'Brien
12-07-2007, 12:39 AM
http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

Are these guys high quality? I really like there Front Disc brake conversions and the Power steering unit. I would also like to go with Parabolic springs since you loose so much unsprung weight Or should I say Sprung weight. Anyway. I just wanted to hear if these guys are top notch or not. Thanks.

those look pretty good, as do the disc conversions. (though not sure how those stack up against Timm's)

it sure does hurt to buy stuff from europe right now though. I onder what a set of springs + shipping would set me back...:eek:

TedW
12-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Put them on a year ago - no problems. In fact, I just took of the Old Man Emu shocks (too stiff for me) and reinstalled the Woodheads - love the cushy ride and find the handling to be fine.

PH4
12-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I have had the RM parabolics for 6 months and have found them to be good and no problem with fit.

greenmeanie
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I'll put in another vote for RM springs. I've had them on for about 6 years now and I've never had a problem. I have a hardtop on my '71 88 and run the 2 leaf up front and 3 leaf rears. She rides nicely and handles with the best of them. I went with the Rancho shocks. With the RM set up you need the longer shocks as the Woodheads are too short and will top out.

Mind you I was just considering that Ray has had good business out of me. I was looking at my 88 and so far it has RM:
- Parabolic springs and Rancho shocks
- Spin on oil filter adapter.
- Transfer case bottom plate.
- Roverdrive.

When Ray gets the new doors sorted I will probably spring for a set of those too.

Cheers
Gregor

TedW
12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
They are awesome. I, too, will get his galvanized door bottoms when available.

PH4
12-07-2007, 09:59 AM
RM is getting ready to produce Galvinzed door bottoms? Great news.

TedW
12-07-2007, 10:06 AM
He told me he got a small shipment once but wasn't happy enough with them to get a production run. I call him every so often and annoy him about it - would love to have them up here in Salt-Land.

daveb
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
hmm, makes me think about my method. lets see.

with a trolley jack under the frame, jack up the end of the car you are working on until the wheel is off the ground.
support the frame with a BIG jackstand. repeat on the other side.

now you should have the tires off the ground and the frame securely resting on jackstands. i.e., the suspension is @ rest, not extended or compressed.

remove road wheels.

choose a side to work on and support that side of the axle with a jack but don't lift it.

undo the spring u bolts.

undo the shocks if necessary

undo the spring eye bolts as nec.

install the new spring fixed eye, then the shackle end. put the bolts through but only loosely. this should put the center bolt in about the same spot as the old one, you will need to jockey the axle a bit to make the holes line up. install u bolts, double check the center bolt alignment and tighten the ubolts up.

this method eliminates all the risks of installing and removing springs under compression. I know there are other ways to do it but this si the one that has worked the best for me in all the ways I have done it.

Of course it isn't that often so sometimes I forget. :)

HTH,
dave

I bent it by jacking the spring up to the axel which was on jack stands.I place the pumpjack in between the axel and spring mount-jacked it up about 3 inches to the axel.Put on my ubolts and shock plate-tightened all the nuts-released the jack and there it was- a nice crimp in the spring.So i ordered another one thinking that It was my fault for bending it.So i tried again with a new one. This time I placed the pumpjack as close to shock plate as possible but still allowing me to get the ubolts and nuts on.Jacked it up less this time to the axel ,about an inch, which was on jack stands.Tightened everything up.Released jack.Noticed slight sag but not as bad as the first time.Truck is still a little tilted.

ctrover
12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Im happy to say that I spoke to mark at RN and they think maybe I got a bad batch of proline springs.So they are sending me some genuine ones and taking back the prolines.Great support.Thankyou RN:thumb-up:

Winston-Rover
12-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Well after reading this thread I'm getting a little nervous. I received my springs a little over a week ago after a 2-month wait. the springs arrived the day after I left for a business trip to Dubai, go figure (my poor wife had to carry them to the garage for me). and now I can't install them until after the new year. I really hope they're not part of the bad batch 'cause it looks like I'll be beyond the 30-day return period. has anyone else had issues with this latest shipment of parabolics?

ctrover
12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
mine were regular springs,not parabolics

SHORLAND
12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
those look pretty good, as do the disc conversions. (though not sure how those stack up against Timm's)

it sure does hurt to buy stuff from europe right now though. I onder what a set of springs + shipping would set me back...:eek:

Who is TIMM? Sorry for being such a noob!:D

O'Brien
12-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Who is TIMM? Sorry for being such a noob!:D
no worries man:thumb-up: i haven't really been around here that long either. Timm Cooper is the guy i was talking about. supposed to be pretty amazing rover guy. RN used to sell his disc conversions a few years back

here's a great thread, with pics. the guy at the top of the thread is now the go-between for the conversion kits

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4416