PDA

View Full Version : OEM Jack

PH4
12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Anyone know where the original jack was installed on IIA 109 SWs. I have clips under middle seat for starting handle and jack handle but cannot figure out where jack would have been installed at factory.

Terrys
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
In the tool bin beneath the left front seat

PH4
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Was it held in by clips etc?

Enigma
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Never thought of it before but what does an original jack look like.

Any pics out there

Cheers john

luckyjoe
12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
On my military 109, I had a tool box under the bonnet that contained the jack and lug wrench. This was removed when I installed a Kodiak heater. Since there were no clips for the jack behind the seats, and I have twin fuel tanks, the jack now resides in a box inside one of the rear tub tool lockers.

Regards,

PH4
12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Is the OEM jack worth purchasing? I need a jack but do not want a big Hi-Lift type. Any other jacks reccomended?

Jim-ME
12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
A regular bottle type hydralic jack will work just fine. Just make sure that it doesn't leak the oil out if stored on it's side.
Jim

4flattires
12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Land-Rover-Series-1-Shelly-Jack-Shelley-Tangye_W0QQitemZ350003081905QQihZ022QQcategoryZ313 48QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In my 69 IIa

Jim-ME
12-07-2007, 05:48 AM
My first Rover was complete with the jack etc. The jack handle and hand crank were mounted in clips behind the seats. The jack, wheel brace and tool roll resided in the tool box under the drivers seat. No clips, straps, or anything to hold them in place.
Jim

Terrys
12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Is the OEM jack worth purchasing? I need a jack but do not want a big Hi-Lift type. Any other jacks reccomended?

That one shown on ebay is the same used at least through '71 2a.
Is it worth it? If it were free I'd still walk on by. They are a royal pain. If the threads are properly lubricated, it will be so stiff that it flops all over when trying to raise it (They tell me I'll have this problem when I get old) If it isn't lubed, it just binds up every other turn anyway. They are cumbersome and heavy. If you want something that was true Land Rover, get one of the bottle jacks that came with Discos, classics and Defenders. They are a nice little jack, and about the same size as the old screw jack.

TedW
12-07-2007, 07:48 AM
IMO it works well, although it's a bit slow to crank up. However, it has an advantage over bottle jacks in that it's all mechanical (no hydraulics) so you don't have to worry about it losing pressure and dropping unexpectedly. Also makes a good doorstop/boat anchor.
I just bought an extra one on ebay for $10. They show up fairly often.

PH4
12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Series LR came with a wheel brace? What did it look like? I have two Series but neither came with Jack, Wheel Brace, or tool roll.

TedW
12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I have a few (both nut sizes) kicking around. Little thing. The arm is just over 8" long and there is not enough angle on it to get any leverage, IMO. Just pops off the lug nut. The ones you can buy from RN or DAP, etc. (they usually come in Hammerite Blue)are heavier duty and actually work.
When I bought my truck it came with all the books, tools, complete tool roll, jack, even the wooden handle for the jack. Only thing missing was the original brace. Hard to believe it all stayed together for 21 years.

4flattires
12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
..do share some pics of your tool "bits"

Help us with understanding the parts you describe (and we are missing).

Thanks! :thumb-up:

Jeff

TedW
12-08-2007, 05:36 PM
First is the jack and the jack handle. It's a Shelley Jack - the side photographed shows the number of the jack - if it doesn't come out I'll go back and get the number if anyone wants it. These are on ebay fairly often. The wood handles are still available - Triple-C has them for ten bucks or so in the LR packaging - expensive for a piece of wood, but hey, the one pictured is 37 years old!
Next is the tool roll, with everything that came in it. The full content list is outlined in the page I scanned from the IIA parts catalog. All the wrenches, sizes, etc. are included. A mix of Whitworth, BSF and AF sizes - you can get most of these on ebay if you keep looking. There are at least two styles of combination screwdriver that were provided, one with a metal handle (that I have) and one with a wood or plastic handle (as illustrated in the manual). The little Tecalemit grease gun actually works well - it just doesn't hold much, but is good for on the road touch-ups.
I took a pic of the starter handle and the jack extension mounted behind the seats ( I didn't take them out - too much of a hassle to get back in). The extension is just a long rod with a hole on one end (for the wood handle) and a rounded square boss on the other (to go into the jack).
Next are two of the original lug wrenches, one for each size. You can probably tell from the angle of the handle that they don't provide much leverage. The newer ones work much better.
The Hessian cloth tool rolls are hard to come by. Plus, they dry out and flake after a while. Exmoor trim makes a nice, accurate reproduction from Hessian backed vinyl for $35 or so. Will last forever. If your tool roll has spent its life in your truck, the greasy exhaust smoke will moisturise and preserve the cloth! That's what happened to mine.
I have a 3 or 4 complete tool rolls that might need a good home, as well as quite a few Superslim wrenches from these kits. I also have an '80's vintage SIII tool kit (german wrenches, vinyl roll) that I don't need (I'm a IIA kind of guy). Not looking to make money, just want this stuff to be appreciated. Email me if interested.