PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price

PI Guy
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
For the last year or so I've been driving by a series 2a sitting in someones yard. I had a chance to peek at it over the weekend. Hasn't been registered since 85', frame looks alright, wings are beat, windscreen cracked, interior pretty rough, but I'm still in love. Not sure if it runs, needs alot of TLC or just a good cannibalization. What do you think would be a fair offer? I've got a 66', am thinking of it probably just for a parts vehicle. Thoughts anyone?

yorker
12-10-2007, 09:37 PM
for a non runner- $500

jp-
12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Depends. Can the frame be saved?

$450-$1000 depending on the rarity, body condition, and mostly frame.

109's are worth more in general.

PI Guy
12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking around 500, so i guess i'll give it a go. :thumb-up:

Jim-ME
12-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Good luck :thumb-up:

SHORLAND
12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
AND????? Any luck getting her?

PI Guy
12-26-2007, 06:42 PM
A family friend (our Rover guru, as my father refers to him) knew the owner, spoke to him, and told me that the guy has a, shall I say, an $overvalued$ opinion of it. So we'll see? I may do something this spring because as it stands right now storage space is at a premium around here. Isn't that always the case! Thanks for the curiosity!

yorker
12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
A family friend (our Rover guru, as my father refers to him) knew the owner, spoke to him, and told me that the guy has a, shall I say, an $overvalued$ opinion of it.

That isn't uncommon with a lot of derelict Rovers. It never hurts to ask though.:thumb-up:

thixon
12-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Yorkers right. I found one years ago that I've tried to buy in South Carolina. Its been sitting for a decade. I wanted it for parts mainly. The bulkhead is shot, so is the frame. The guy would'nt consider anything less than 3k. Needless to say, its still sitting.

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

Daurie
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I happened across one less than a mile from my house, pretty bad shape, white 109 s2a I believe. Non running guy wanted 5K!!! I'll snap a picture of it next time i pass by.... seeing as how it's still sitting too!

yorker
12-27-2007, 05:32 PM
On the other side of the coin:

I once found a nice one, with ~40k original miles, very clean but the front frame horn was rusted through. The Rover itself was beautiful- it would have made a great frame over project. I thought about it a while and didn't ask about it, one day it disappeared and I found out the owner would have happily given it to me for free had I taken the time to ask... :rolleyes:

On the other hand there is a IIA that I have watched rot on a lawn for the last 15 years, the owner won't sell. He'll get it back on the road someday he says- by now there is little left worth saving. :nono:

NC Rover
12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Yorkers right. I found one years ago that I've tried to buy in South Carolina. Its been sitting for a decade. I wanted it for parts mainly. The bulkhead is shot, so is the frame. The guy would'nt consider anything less than 3k. Needless to say, its still sitting.

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

Just out of curiosity was this rover sitting in Greenville, SC? There was one there I used to see a few years back before I moved.

Terrys
12-28-2007, 05:34 AM
You'll never know if you don't stop and ask. It will gnaw at you till you have to go back, and now look at all the gas you've wasted. (especially when you go back the next day to find he sold it the night before 'just to get it outa here')
I recently met a guy new to the hobby. He called me out of the blue and said " 'So and so' told me you know about these trucks. I just picked one up and wonder if you'd look at it and tell me what I have" It turned out to be a completely unmolested, as in BONE STOCK, original, and in excellent shape S3 88" with less than 30K original miles. He wanted to know if he paid too much, $3200. Some people just know how to get under my skin.

SHORLAND
07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
When I worked for the phone company I once spotted and 88 sitting under a bunch of brush in a back yard. After I climbed down the pole I went over and knocked on the door. The owner let me go and check her out. The things was completely rotted out but had a "few" bits that were worth saving to make another 88" more complete. They guy told me 10k! He would not budge even after I showed him it was completely shot! It had sat there for maybe 15 to 20 years. That was 9 years ago and she is still there. Maybe I will swing back by and check her out again. I bet its mostly a pile of rust and corroded aluminum!:mad:

Tsmith
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Make an offer. If it is refused, you may have stimulated the owner to find out what it is really worth and when you return in a few months, he'll be more receptive to a realistic offer.

I found a '60 Morgan that had festered in a back yard in CT for trwenty-five years. He wanted 8K for it. He called back 18 monthes later and I took it for $1500.

Tom Smith

Donnie
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I happened across one less than a mile from my house, pretty bad shape, white 109 s2a I believe. Non running guy wanted 5K!!! I'll snap a picture of it next time i pass by.... seeing as how it's still sitting too!
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I am thinning out my fleet of non runners that I will never get to, 3 or 4 and a pile of engines, rears, & gearboxes....send me a note or flog me with an antenna or tell me what I am doing wrong...sorry if this is an inapproiate response.... Donnie