PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of oil!

Cody
12-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I always said I would never forget to check my oil in my 1972 Series 3 Rover! Well I forgot, and now I have to pay for it. Luckily the engine didn't seize, but I did scar the crank shaft. I was thinking of taking out the engine and just put a new crank shaft in, but I was told that by doing that I'm not going to be able to do some heavy off roading (which is the best part). So I was wondering if anyone has any advise on what I should do, it would be great appreciated. Thanx

ajones
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Bad Ju Ju man, just curious how did you lose all your oil, leaks, burning off, what?
Did they tell you why you would not be able to do heavy off-roading?

Cody
12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
well my uncle looked at it and he's REALLY good with rovers, he said i might not being to drive it alot.
I just didn't check the oil level enough, it burned off.

SHORLAND
12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Chit happens. Did the same thing on my newly rebuilt TT600. Took it in and had them completely rebuild it. Brought it home and started it. Ran it down the street and headed back home 2 miles. She died on me. Started her up and ran it toward home. Down the street 1/8 mile from the house she froze up. I then checked the OIL. NOT A DROP OF OIL WAS PUT IN AFTER THEY REBUILT IT! A simple 10 send check would have prevented alot of headaches! They rebuilt her for me AGAIN but for free. I now never trust anyones work but my own. I double and triple check if I cant do the work myself.

friar mike
12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Chit happens. Did the same thing on my newly rebuilt TT600. Took it in and had them completely rebuild it. Brought it home and started it. Ran it down the street and headed back home 2 miles. She died on me. Started her up and ran it toward home. Down the street 1/8 mile from the house she froze up. I then checked the OIL. NOT A DROP OF OIL WAS PUT IN AFTER THEY REBUILT IT! A simple 10 send check would have prevented alot of headaches! They rebuilt her for me AGAIN but for free. I now never trust anyones work but my own. I double and triple check if I cant do the work myself.
It is standerd for no oil in rebuild engines or tranys that go out of a shop to be installed else where.In my shop I put a sticker on it that states NO OIL. why anybody would think otherwiss.

SHORLAND
12-24-2007, 05:37 PM
No standard operating procedures on a rebuilt and "INSTALLED" engine at my local motorcycle shop WHO started it up and rode it to the loading ramp across the street, was to also fill it with oil. Why anyone would think diffrent is beyond me. In fact it was also beyond the shop owners understanding and promptly fired the mechanic. As far as engines for 4 wheel vehicles and such that come on a crate that is diffrent. But when someone pulls up the bike to the loading dock and shuts it off I assumed they did what they were "supposed" to do. So what your saying is when you rebuild an engine in a car and hand the keys to the owner and says OK here she is its his responsibility to fill it with oil? I didnt think so. So take your smart ass remarks somewhere else.

LaneRover
12-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Nah, I think that you guys are thinking of 2 different situations. One in which someone says, Thanks for rebuilding my Motor! I'll go home and put it in myself..... ...and your situation where you saw the guy run it and hand you the keys after shutting it off.

If not then I guess that puts me in at least the smart ass commentary position.

friar mike
12-25-2007, 01:11 AM
No standard operating procedures on a rebuilt and "INSTALLED" engine at my local motorcycle shop WHO started it up and rode it to the loading ramp across the street, was to also fill it with oil. Why anyone would think diffrent is beyond me. In fact it was also beyond the shop owners understanding and promptly fired the mechanic. As far as engines for 4 wheel vehicles and such that come on a crate that is diffrent. But when someone pulls up the bike to the loading dock and shuts it off I assumed they did what they were "supposed" to do. So what your saying is when you rebuild an engine in a car and hand the keys to the owner and says OK here she is its his responsibility to fill it with oil? I didnt think so. So take your smart ass remarks somewhere else.
thanks LaneRover I was responding to just what was posted. you made it sound like you installed the transmission or engine and you didn't say motorcycle. TT600 could be anything ! if that is the case then that should be covered by the shop. I rebuild old cars (english and german) I also run a high end motocycle shop. when I rebuild engines and tranys and install them I personally run them 20 to 50 miles to make dam sure I did a good job. it sounds like this shop didn't do a good shake down before it was sent out. I have riders come through here on rides to Alaska and I want to make sure there will be no brake downs. I ment no offense just responding to what was posted.

Terrys
12-25-2007, 06:03 AM
It is standerd for no oil in rebuild engines or tranys that go out of a shop to be installed else where.In my shop I put a sticker on it that states NO OIL. why anybody would think otherwiss.

I don't see ANYTHING resembling a 'smart ass' comment made by Mike. Prior to his posting this, you never said that the whole bike went in or was returned whole. It has always been understood that engines, rebuilt, or new are shipped without fluids. The obvious reason is that transportation companies insist on it. I agree, once it installed in the vehicle, whether it be bike, car, truck, boat, plane, whatever, the very next thing should be adding oil. I guess I can understand why you made the assumption it had oil, and that was a costly (even if not for you) lesson, but that should be the first thing I would have done. Who knows when they do a rebuild if it didn't leak a little or alot.
Don't be so defensive, it's not very becoming and I don't think Mike was attacking you, just making a point based on what was posted.