PDA

View Full Version : Springs/Shackle Question

mchellgren
12-15-2007, 04:30 PM
i installed new front springs on my 109, and the parabolics on the left side rubs against the frame. The shackle appears to compress too much. I have tried tightening the shackle bolts, but it returns. Any suggestions? thank you

lew_sa
12-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I put parabolics from RN all around over the summer. I test drove my Dormobile for the first since June last week and noticed a popping noise up front when I hit big bumps. The source of the noise was from where the parabolic wraps around the front spring hangar bolt. The top part of the drivers side parabolic's curl comes into contact the bottom of the frame. I sprayed WD40 on it and that eliminated the noise (at least when I jump uo & down on the bumper), not the contact problem. I don't whether I have a clearance issue with the shackle/frame or if the spring is out of spec. The passenger side has ~1/8" clearance. I'll investigate further today & post again.

R/,
Lew

B. Wallace
12-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Lew,

Please post what you find this problem to be; I'm having the exact same sound on my 88, coming from the passsenger front spring. This is only one of the problems I've experienced since installing these new springs, hence the last posting I wrote. Let us know what you find.

lew_sa
12-17-2007, 06:37 PM
OK, grabbed my trusty Mituyo digital calipers. I measured the clearance between the bottom of the frame to the top of the shackle bolt shaft.
Driver's side (side with spring clearance issues)=1.12"
Passenger side=1.08"
It appears to me that radius on the outer leaf of the front driver's side parabolic is too big. This creates an interference fit so the spring rubs on the chassis causing it to make a popping noise when compressed passed a certain rate. The clearance issue can't be too bad b/c I don't recall having any problems getting the shackle bolt in. The WD40 I sprayed on there a couple days ago is still keeping the popping noise in check as well.

I think my shocks are worn b/c I can really bounce the truck around. It's a good thing I got this Dormi for a good deal b/c it's costing me now:eek: .

I've got some clutch & carb issues to deal which gives me an excuse to spend some time in the garage. I'll dig into this deeper and provide an update if learn more.

R/,
Lew

Daurie
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I have the same issue on my '73 88". I just wrote it off as I have yet to install aftermarket leaf springs on any vehicle I've owned that fit perfect and didn't make some noise. If you find a solution let us know! :thumb-up:

singingcamel
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
how are your frame bushes? are the rear shackles on the front springs in the same position.sticky or worn frame busheswill force the springs forward were they might cause this problem

mchellgren
12-27-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks team. I lifted the truck and cranked the shackle as hard as i could. it seemed to help. I think you are right re. the the distance from the axle. I think it has something to do with the location of the differential. my guess is that leaf should on the right side should be slightly shorter.