PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a rebuildable head laying around?

thixon
12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
After closer inspection, I have found that the previous owner of the truck I'm currently working on has broken off a couple of manifold studs in the head, and attempted to drill out one. It looks like he may have broken either a bit off (while attempting to drill a broken stud to insert and easy out) or an easy out. In addition, the hole is now wollowed out beyond the original size from drilling. I could probably take the head to a machine shop, have them drill everything out, but I'm not sure about refilling, redrilling, and retapping the wollowed out hole. Doesn't seem like a good idea to try that to me.

If anyone has an old rebuildable head for a 2.25 litre petrol they want to sell, let me know.

Thanks,

Travis

leafsprung
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
yes lemurstew@aol.com

Terrys
12-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Why not just Helicoil it? but, yes, I have one also.

thixon
12-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Terry,

I may try the helicoil option, but I'm not optimistic. One of the holes appears to have had either a drill bit or easy out broken off in it, then either drilled down or filed somehow. It then looks like he continued to drill, and widened the hole signifigantly, but still couldn't remove the rest of the stud with the bit or easyout broken off in its center. I'm guessing there, but its usually damn near impossible to drill a bit with another bit.

Travis

BackInA88
12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
A machine shop with and EDM can get the drill, easyout or broken tap out.
They make small EDM's just for this.
Than a helicoil or other tread repair kit should do the trick.

Steve

rovertek
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
have a new one i never used <gauto@localnet.com>

jp-
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM
A carbide endmill will drill out a tap/extractor.

lew_sa
12-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I've got a 7:1 that pressure tested OK last July. I'm not sure of the casting number, so you may not be able to convert it an 8:1.

R/,
Lew
lew_sa@yahoo.com

Terrys
12-18-2007, 09:49 AM
A machine shop with and EDM can get the drill, easyout or broken tap out.
Steve

Exactly!

thixon
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm not so worried about getting the broken tap out at this point. I've actually gotten them out with a plasma cutter before. I may still try this for the hell of it.

At this point, the damage to the original hole, particularly close to the surface is whats bothering me. He really went to work on it. It wollowed out pretty bad about an 1/8" in from the top. Looks like he held the drill at an angle and went to town. The manifold does'nt mate to the surface around this bolt hole (its one of the two bottom middle), but it still bugs me. I'm not sure if I could get a helicoil in or not.

Travis