PDA

View Full Version : choke and carb problems

Gregory Wojcik
12-18-2007, 11:57 AM
well, this is a problem that I have been trying to ignore hoping that it would go away, and it never did.

I have been running my late series 2a with the cold start on at all times. It runs very smooth and is easy to emagine that there is no problem. (except for the yellow light on the dash).

When I turn off the choke, the motor runs very ruff. back fires when letting up on the gas and such. I have tried to adjust the zenith carb to make it work but I just cant get it right. It is ether to ruff or it has the tendency to stall on acceleration. I guess I have no Idea what I am doing.

Questions:
How do you properly make adjustments to the carb?

Do I need to rebuild my carb? please say no...

THanks for all your help!!!
Greg

sayers
12-18-2007, 12:18 PM
How old is the carb ? if new when did you buy it ?

Gregory Wojcik
12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I dont know the age of the carb. It looks original to the rover, I bought the rover last year

scott
12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
air/fuel mix, idle adj and timing are things i do together. 1st adj timing, then i mess with the carb. mines a weber 2 barrel. i find it easy to rebuild. done it a couple of times, once on the road with just a gerber pocket tool

Gregory Wojcik
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
to adjust the timing, do you just use the knob with the A and R until it sounds smooth?

scott
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
to adjust the timing, do you just use the knob with the A and R until it sounds smooth?

i don't have that cool little adj knob on mine. i just loosen the dizzy, rotate it back and forth 'til is smooths out. i'll set a beer on the wing and watch it. when the ripples are minimized i tighten the dizzy. then i hook the vacuum line up to a gage and adj the air/fuel mix 'til it produces the highest reading at an idle, starting with the mixture screw backed out 2.5 turns. if your turns out are lower than 2 or higher than 3 you need to think about rejetting. the last thing is the idle adj screw. if all's well at the srcew just about to apply pressure on the linkage great if not i will go no more than 2 turns past contact to get an idle of 750 rpms. if the idle is not at 750 rpms with the idle adj screw between 0 and 2 turns in then i'd look at the other lingage adjustments.

pepe
12-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I heard of zeniths having a warping problem that is rectified by "blocking" it on a very flat surface and sand paper. glass has been used by some.

anyone hear of this?

Erik
Portland, ME

sven
12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I heard of zeniths having a warping problem that is rectified by "blocking" it on a very flat surface and sand paper. glass has been used by some.

anyone hear of this?

Erik
Portland, ME

Yeah Ive rebuilt 2 this way and they've worked great.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.carb.zenith.fix.html

www.norcalrover.org/downloads/ncrc_2.pdf (http://www.norcalrover.org/downloads/ncrc_2.pdf)

There's also a redundant port that can be blocked off to help fix a rich Zenith. You can do this when you rebuild it.
http://www.landrover.tmfweb.nl/

64 Wagon
12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I also just bought my rover and when I first started it with the choke, I let it run too long, and it foulded my plugs and it ran rough and did not hold idle, anyway, did you check the plugs?

singingcamel
12-19-2007, 03:16 PM

anyone hear of this?

Erik
Portland, ME

yep, i 've done this many times

singingcamel
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Its obviously a fuel issues, choke out = runs good.choke in runs like crap.
heres what i would do.
1 check your in line fuel filter if you have one,clean it or replace it.
2 check all your vaccum hoses for cracks and leaks.
3 tighten the base of the carb 9/16 i think
4 if it still needs extra fuel i would adjust the carb turn the fuel mixture in until it kills, then back it out 3/4 or until it idles good turn and adjust from there
5 adjust the idle screw until it idles
6 clean and regap plugs
7 timing would be the last thing, loosen the base plate ,advance would be counter clockwise,retard would be clockwise.if it does'nt cough or chug alug when you turn the ignition off timing probably pretty close.
**** out back timing procedure***
1 obtain a beer from anyone close, drink half of it
2 loosen the base plate a tad,enough to move the dizzy.
3 pour a half glass of warm or cold beer in a glass container clean or dirty
remember its a free beer.
4 set the container close to the wing mirror to prevent it from sliding off.
5 adjust the timing until you get the smallest wave in the beer .
6 drink the rest and you ought to be damn close.
7 you'll impress anyone watching and you will be so damn cool.:thumb-up: