PDA

View Full Version : I can't find anyone willing to galvanize in my area

thixon
12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I live in GA. I can't find anyone willing to do my bulkhead, windshield frame and trim. I've tried every plant from FL to PA (I've tried to stay in driving distance from my house).

At this point, I'm giving up on the bulkhead. It'll have to go epoxy primer and paint after I finish the repairs.

If I decide to paint the truck, I'd still like to have the trim and windsheild frame done though. Does anyone know of a galvanizing plant willing to do this work? If so, please share!

Thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

jp-
12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Search through the old threads, we have done this one already.

What it comes down to, is that all the small galvanizers have been forced out of business, and the big ones are doing too much DOT work to mess with a few hundred dollars worth of parts.

On top of this, many have complained about the quality and forced the galvanizers to redo the work. Because of this, many will no longer do Rover work.

thixon
12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the reply JP.

Makes sense. I found one small galvanizer in PA, and he opted out for exactly the reason you describe. Right out of the gate, he hit me with "this is one of them old land rovers isnt it?" He explained that he'd done one before, but the customer was furious with the end result because the new galvanizing was three times thicker than the original. It was a pain in the a$%, so he vowed never to do it again.

Oh well. Guess I better get out the scotchbrite pads!

Thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

jp-
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Maybe, just maybe, if you signed a contract that you would not make them redo the work, no matter how the final parts looked, then they would do it.

jp-
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Properly notarized, written in blood, etc...

galen216
12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Where in PA? I had a place recommended to me, but I've never contacted them to see if they will do stuff.

Thanks for the reply JP.

Makes sense. I found one small galvanizer in PA, and he opted out for exactly the reason you describe. Right out of the gate, he hit me with "this is one of them old land rovers isnt it?" He explained that he'd done one before, but the customer was furious with the end result because the new galvanizing was three times thicker than the original. It was a pain in the a$%, so he vowed never to do it again.

Oh well. Guess I better get out the scotchbrite pads!

Thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

Leslie
12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
FWIW, I used Bristol Galvanizing, on the TN-VA line (between Bristol and Abingdon VA, actually). They usually do large things like guard rails or street lights, mining equipment, etc... Sure, there were a few runs in some spots on the bulkhead footwells, but overall, I was *really* pleased. Basically, you have to realize that you have to take what you can get when you have it done, and not gripe to them about it not being perfect; that's part of the nature of dunking a large piece of steel into a tank of molten zinc...

Anyway, they did regalvanized all of my bits that were originally galvanized, then also the bulkhead, the breakfast, the battery box, spring plates, sills, tub-struts, seat frames, basically anything that could survive the process.

All I ask from anyone is to not ruin it for the rest of us Rover folks that have a good working reputation with them if you do use them; but, to be honest, I think they enjoyed the work and wouldn't mind dealing w/ Rover bits if you are reasonable in your expectations.... http://www.zinc-partners.com/pages/1/index.htm

thixon
12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Leslie,

I'm really not worried about it coming out perfect anyway. I'm not after a concours restoration rover. As you know (we'ver discussed it once before), I just don't want my bulkhead rusting again after I work my tail off on it. And, I figure if I can get the bulkhead done, I may as well do anything else I can as well. I just want the stuff to last, I don't care if there are runs all over it!

Travis
'66 IIa 88"

yorker
12-20-2007, 03:12 PM
All I ask from anyone is to not ruin it for the rest of us Rover folks that have a good working reputation with them if you do use them;

Man that is the truth! Too many of them will tell you to go to hell if you ask about galvanizing anything "Land Rover". Apparently there are a few bad eggs in our midst who have ruined this for us, plus small time projects like ours are often more of an annoyance than a profitable venture. The only thing going for us is the fact that they have to keep those tanks running 24-7, so they might as well be dipping something.

NC Rover
12-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I'll ask the previous owner where he got his galvanized stuff done. I know he had the bulkhead done and of course a custom frame. When I figure it out, I'll pass the info along.