PDA

View Full Version : Swivel ball ?

EASTTNROVER
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
68' IIA. Not trying to get into the whole grease vs 90w ordeal. I have grease in my swivel balls from the previous owner and like the idea of having everything 90w. I want to just clean everything out and put the 90 in there. Is there something else anyone recommends for doing this besides just cleaning this mess up? I plan on replacing all the seals and what not...but thats about it. Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks, Jake.

BackInA88
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
What are your swivel balls like?
Nice chrome and no pits I hope or the new seals won't seal anything.

Steve

Momo
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
To clean them out you'll need to strip and rebuild. Pointless if they work just fine.

What you really need to know is, are your railco bushes in good condition? The swivel pin rides inside the railco and if the railco gets worn/ovalized the swivels will wobble in the housings. Which means a full rebuild.

Maybe your railcos are fine, but the seals are done in. As said, if your swivels are pitted then new seals are useless. Maybe that's why the truck has grease in there so begin with.

On the other hand if the swivels are smooth, and everything moves smoothly without excessive play, what would you accomplish by replacing grease with oil? You may like the idea but if things are working fine now why change just for the sake of it?

Why not just jack up the truck, check the swivels for excessive play and if none is found, top them off with 90 wt and see how it goes... at least you'll find out if your seals... well, seal.