PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Warning Light

Jim-ME
11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a late SIIa speedo with the oil pressure warning light on the bottom. It does not light up at all. Is there a way I can test the sender to see if that is bad? Is there a bulb in the speedo which could be burned out? I just checked the bulb socket with a test light and it lights when I turn on the key. I clipped the test light to the ground on the wiper motor. I didn't try starting the engine to see if the test light turns out when I get oil pressure. That is on the list for tomorrow. In the mean time any assistance will be appreciated.
hanks,
Jim

KingSlug
11-17-2006, 01:41 AM
You should have 3 small light bulbs for oil/alt/choke if you have the speedo I think you have. Test them out, then swap between positions. Then go around to every bulb you have on your Rover, make a list, get a replace for everyone and a few spares for common light bulbs.

It sounds like you just got your rover and you have a long way to go and haven't worked on cars much, just take it slow. Get a green bible if you don't have one, also pick up a basic automotive book from the library you can learn alot from these basic books. Rovers are like tractors, there aint much too them, they will take alot of abuse and are pretty easy to fix.

Good Luck.:thumb-up:

landi41
11-17-2006, 06:00 AM
I think you can check the sender on the side of the block as follows, with the motor not running, disconnect the green wire..........after attaching your test light alligator clip to the positive battery terminal or any "hot" source.........touch the probe on the sender spade connector, it should light up.........now start the engine, and at a decent idle repeat the above, the test light should not light up.............if this is the case your sender (and oil pressure) is good........if you still dont have a green light check the wiring back to the bulb socket and the bulb itself......

TeriAnn
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
I have a late SIIa speedo with the oil pressure warning light on the bottom. It does not light up at all. Is there a way I can test the sender to see if that is bad?

The good folks at Rover's North went through the trouble of putting US spec Series wiring diagrams in their Series catalogues (good going guys).

A glance at the diagram shows the circuit is a switched 12V source, through the lamp, through the oil pressure sensor to ground.

So a quick way to test the sensor is to remove the connector from the sensor on the engine and clip it to a good ground. Turn the ignition switch on and see if the light is lit. Chances are very good it is either the oil pressure sensor not closing (needs to be replaced) or a bad connector conection. The bulbs very seldom go bad.