PDA

View Full Version : Tool kits

Daurie
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm in the process of putting together a tool / spares kit to carry along on trips. It would be helpful to see a list of what some of you include in your kits. I tend to over do but I definately want to be prepared for anything that could go wrong.

Merry Christmas!

leafsprung
12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Depends on your vehicle to some extent. I have different things I carry along a much different kit when taking my diesel 88 than when I take my V8 109. Think about the jobs you might need to tackle and pack accordingly.

friar mike
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm in the process of putting together a tool / spares kit to carry along on trips. It would be helpful to see a list of what some of you include in your kits. I tend to over do but I definately want to be prepared for anything that could go wrong.

Merry Christmas!
how much space do you have to put a kit together for anything that could go wrong?:p

O'Brien
12-24-2007, 01:22 PM
i've been thinking about this as well. I would probably keep mine spares in something the size of a medium rubbermade tote. any thoughts on essentials in the space constraint? (obviously not everything has to fit in there, but who really carries an extra salsbury right?!)

Daurie
12-24-2007, 02:41 PM
As far as spares go.. here is what I have so far (off the top of my head): Belt, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carb, fuel and oil filter, enough fluids to change everything once, few feet of heater and fuel hose, two spare rim/tires, can of fix-a-flat. I have heard of some carring spare rear axles and front stub axles. I don't plan on getting into anything too crazy.. add to the list! I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for ideas.

I had originally considered getting a large pelican case and keeping it on the rack but I have a feeling it might be more weight than I anticipate and would be better kept as low as possible.

As far as tools, aside from hub nuts I'm not sure what you couldn't do with a decent set of standard and the few select metric. I haven't been through a series truck from top to bottom but it seems pretty straight forward tool wise.