PDA

View Full Version : SIII Tranny into a SII

Pinze
11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I've got a '60 SII that I'm planning on rebuilding the engine and tranny. I was considering replacing the original tranny with a SIII tranny. In looking at the gear ratios, it looks like a much lower low range would be obtained by using a SIII tranny with the original SII transfer case as well as getting an all synchro unit. I know the slave cylinder and clutch arrangement is different. So, can I simply replace my SII tranny with a SIII tranny if I use all the original SII parts? What parts do I need to complete this swap? Thanks.

Bostonian1976
11-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I think one concern you may want to think about is that the SIII transmissions are supposed to be less robust than the IIa tranny....

KingSlug
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Much of the reasoning behind the S3 tranny weakness was a bad layshaft design in the early models, LR did fix this design. Actually the last version S3 tranny with the re-enforced case is probably the strongest out there. Whats wrong with you tranny? Why not rebuilt it and add in syncros for 1st and 2nd? All in all the tranny case is the same, you will just need to swap over you bell housing and clutch mech.

Pinze
11-19-2006, 09:25 AM
switch to a SIII tranny is because of the much lower first gear and reverse gear ratio, which I find useful in four wheeling.

Tdi Guy
11-19-2006, 10:17 AM
I would think its a direct replacement since they are the same case. If you put the II bell housing on the III box, you can even use all the original clutch stuff. Go for it.

Pinze
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I know the clutch mechanisms, slave cylinders, etc. are different based on info I found on the internet. I was hoping to hear from someone who had done the swap, so I could figure out the cost and labor involved.

leafsprung
11-27-2006, 01:27 AM
its a simple swap. You will have to cut a web out of the engine cross-member to clear the slave cyl on the SIII bellhousing. You will also have to adapt to the SIIA clutch lines, or make a new line. Depending on the studs in your motor you may also have to enlage the holes in the bellhousing.

Pinze
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
type of engine studs? Will a SIII tranny bolt directly to a SII bellhousing, or do I have to use the SIII tranny with the SIII bellhousing? Thanks.

BackInA88
12-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Much of the reasoning behind the S3 tranny weakness was a bad layshaft design in the early models, LR did fix this design. Actually the last version S3 tranny with the re-enforced case is probably the strongest out there. Whats wrong with you tranny? Why not rebuilt it and add in syncros for 1st and 2nd? All in all the tranny case is the same, you will just need to swap over you bell housing and clutch mech.

Is there a kit or a parts list to make this change to put full syncros on a IIa trans?