PDA

View Full Version : Hazard Warning Lights

pvkd
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have a nice solution for adding hazard warning lights capability to a Series 11a?

:confused:

Myron
12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I installed the switch and circuit from an early Range Rover, which may have also been the SIII system (never had one - can't say). This has been about 10 years ago, and our hosts sold the parts then. I don't know if it's NLA or not now. It fit perfectly into the cold start warning lamp hole, which never worked anyway. It's been a useful and cool-looking mod.

Myron

Jim-ME
12-29-2007, 06:15 AM
The PO of my Rover replaced the column mounted turn signal wand to one that has a built in switch. There is no self canceling feature but I don't mind.
Jim

firefighter104
12-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Several years back, Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment in West Vancouver, BC Canada carried a 'plug and play' hazard light warning system for the Series II. I installed one in a 1964 Series IIA 88 that I once owned. The unit worked well. You can contact them at 1-888-880-2600. Just now, I just looked on there website, and I do not see it advertised at this time. If you are really interested let me know -- I will have to look in my parts collection, but I may have a spare that I could sell you if I still have it.

Aaron

Terrys
12-29-2007, 07:14 AM
The PO of my Rover replaced the column mounted turn signal wand to one that has a built in switch. There is no self canceling feature but I don't mind.
Jim
That must be the Signal Stat unit. I like them, and they couldn't be easier to install (except for bending the strap around the column) They are about the best rreplacement turnsignal unit for the NLA original.

Erin
12-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I had a Signal Stat with the built in hazard option on my '66 2a 88". It used the turn signal flasher therefore, it should be fairly easy to wire in a switch that uses the existing flasher unit. I have done this on accident before when wiring up a Magna Tex unit on my truck. I would suggest that you rig it so the hazards work with the ignition on or off. The Signal Stat only worked when the ignition was on and I ran the risk of burning my points by just leaving the ignition on when I was temporarily "resting" in the road. Get some small jumpers and a bug light and go to town.

Momo
12-29-2007, 04:39 PM
The Rocky Mountain unit is great. I got one at the Portland ABFM about 5 yrs ago when Ray had just begun selling it. It is meant to be wired directly to a hot circuit in the fuse box so it will work independently of the ign, plus it has a cigarette lighter/power point on the panel, and it looks factory.