PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler?

asalnick
12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Have the option of picking up an MOD oil cooler setup with pan, adapters, hoses, cooler, 8 blade fan, etc. Is this a worthwhile modification? Never really had much problems with overheating, but thought an oil cooler would be a decent thing to do. The risk of blowing a line might be more trouble than it is worth. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers.

Jim-ME
12-29-2007, 06:12 AM
I have an oil cooler which I like. I have replaced most of the oil lines with braided stainless steel lines so that I don't have to worry about breakage. Be advised that you will get a moan from an oil cooler at times which sounds akin to a sick cow.
Jim

Terrys
12-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Oil coolers were added when the MOD asked LR to do it because of hot oil on the General service 109s, when pulling tailers long distance.
I have always been of the opinion that the engine, in normal use runs quite well without it. I am certain, without actually doing a test to see how much, but there will be a oil pressure drop due to the cooler. I once disconected the one in my 110 and the pressure went up 10 psi.

yorker
12-29-2007, 11:22 AM
a 2.25 is well cooled anyway, unless you are towing or in an extreme hot desert I think you'll find little benefit and the added complexity simply offers more chance for things to go wrong. Stick to a good quality modern oil and you should be fine as is- a lot of modern oils resist thermal breakdown far better than those of 30 years ago. If you can get the bits chaeap thopugh it might be worth snagging them and then flog them on eBay.

JimCT
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Oil does much more than just lubricate an engine, it remove heat, hence the military LR's having oil temp guages and not oil pressure. Cooling the oil only makes the engine happier, no matter what the water temp is running at. We run Mobil 1 0W-40, gets lots of flow through the cooler and fast oil pressure at start up. Jim

luckyjoe
12-31-2007, 08:41 AM
but there will be a oil pressure drop due to the cooler. I once disconected the one in my 110 and the pressure went up 10 psi.

In the military configuration, the 2.25p had a different spring in the oil pump to compensate for the pressure drop across the oil cooler. This component is often overlooked when removing/installing a Series military cooler.

PM me the details if you pass on this cooler. I might be interested for spares...

Regards,

Terrys
12-31-2007, 09:35 AM
In the military configuration, the 2.25p had a different spring in the oil pump to compensate for the pressure drop across the oil cooler.

That would make sense.