PDA

View Full Version : Body Work Opinions Needed

NC Rover
12-29-2007, 10:54 AM
So I've had a few opinions on getting this fixed but I never really had a good picture of the damage.

Is this something that could be bent out fairly easy or would it be more feasible to replace an entire quarter panel?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/reardamage2.jpg

4flattires
12-29-2007, 02:46 PM
doing the work yourself or having a professional do it for you, it would be faster and cheaper to repair rather than replace. There are rivets and spot welds to contend with when replacing.You have an easy repair for a skilled professional which should be undetectable once completed.My 2c.Jeff

Jim-ME
12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
With a crease like you have I'd replace after and only after I pushed the rear cross out and could look at what you had to work with. Rear quarter panels are in the $200 range plus welding and paint. Get some estimates and compare them.
Jim

friar mike
12-29-2007, 04:28 PM
With a crease like you have I'd replace after and only after I pushed the rear cross out and could look at what you had to work with. Rear quarter panels are in the $200 range plus welding and paint. Get some estimates and compare them.
Jim
I agree that will be hard to get right. Aluminum is harder to work with then steel.

Eric W S
12-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I had the same thing happen to my Defender 90. The dealer of all places was able to straighten the panel with nearly no filler and the result was perfect. It was less work than replacing the tub side and you can not tell the truck has been repaired.

I would find a body shop specializing in restoration work as a start. The only bad thing was that I found most shops did not want to come within 10 feet of birmabright and many would not spot weld either.

EwS

leafsprung
12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I have actually done that repair many times. Its much easier to replace and the result is straight with no filler.

thixon
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Its possible to fix it, with no bondo, and make an undetecable repair, but there are two problems with tyring it.

First, it won't be you that does the repair, and finding someone in your area skilled at restoration work with non-steel might be tough. Aluminum is tricky to work with if you aren't a pro with a slapper, but it can be slapped out and made slick as a whistle again. Check around, and look for someone skilled in classic car restos. You're looking for someone old school, who can do hammer and dolly work in his sleep. You are'nt going to find this guy at a shop specializing in insurance work.

The second problem is money. It's not cheap to do this kind of work, and the kind of guy that can do it using no body filler is used to working on high dollar cars (astins, jags, old ferraris, old porches, you get my drift).

My question to you is this: Do you really want to drop a ton of money on the truck? Remember, (as much as I love 'em) this is just a rover. Its not an original Testa Rossa.

If it were me, I'd make the repair in one of three ways (these could be done by you). The easiest would be to just try and hammer it out yourself, and not give a darn what it looked like afterward. Just get it close, so its no longer all pushed up. You'll probably break the metal trying to correct that crease, but so what. If you do any off roading at ll in it, sooner or later you'll bend it up again anyway. If you are'nt up for that then I'd choose one of the following: either plug weld or pop rivet a new panel on. Yeah, I know everyone is about to hack me for recommending pop rivets for the quarter panel, but its a valid option. It works well, and tons of them have been done that way (one of my old trucks was). If you choose the plug weld (rosette) option, then you need to find someone who can weld aluminum. Try someone who does aircraft repair work.

I've typed so much my fingers hurt.

If you want more info, send me a message.

friar mike
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
My question to you is this: Do you really want to drop a ton of money on the truck? Remember, (as much as I love 'em) this is just a rover. Its not an original Testa Rossa.

yep I work on those too.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/friarmike/ferraritesrossea.jpg

Momo
12-30-2007, 12:14 AM
You might look around nearby airports for someone to beat the panel out, especially if there's an antique flying community where you live. Those guys are at home with aluminum alloy.

Jim-ME
12-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Big rigs and large panel vans (UPS trucks, bread trucks, Snap-On trucks) have alluminum too so that may be another option for repair if you choose. The place that does my painting specializes in trucks especially the big ones. What pleasure it was not to have to explain etch primer. My ace in the hole are the aircraft mechanics at work. They do hammer rivets in their sleep. :thumb-up:
Jim

PS Thixon, you are right Rovers aren't Testa Rossas. They are much better and as far as I am concerned there is no such a thing as just a Rover. :D

Terrys
12-30-2007, 07:03 AM
One thing is for certain, your truck is too nice to leave it as-is.
Since the truck is so drastically modified, I don't think the decision to replace vs. repair is an issue, as far as maintaining originality is concerned. There are always going to the guys who will point out the new wing and bring it to everyone's attention within earshot, but too busy to notice it's a hybrid to begin with.
There are plenty of old school body guys who will beat that out and use no filler. If you can't find one and have to resort to the ho-hum body shops, go with the replacement panel. You may not have the proper row of spotwelds, and keep in mind that however the old panle was removed, like drilling all the spot welds, the inside panel where the wheel arch attaches will show unless that is given equal attention. In the end, I think you;ll find, that given that you can find a good panel man, he will be able to do his magic way faster than replacing the panel.

thixon
12-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey JimME

No offense intended. Rovers are some of my favorites as well. The point I was trying to make was that if he intends to off road the truck, he'll probably bend that same spot again (we've all done it). So he might not want to go through the hassle and expense of finding the right guy, that can do the right repair. Instead he might be better off just pulling it out and leaving it, or taking the replacement panel route.

Cheers,

thixon
12-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Friar Mike,

Is that your red head? If so, nice. Every year I get the itch to buy one, and then my wife slaps me down ("you already have too many toys") Sound familiar?

PS, I'm trying to talk her into an Exige S. Wish me luck.

friar mike
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Friar Mike,

Is that your red head? If so, nice. Every year I get the itch to buy one, and then my wife slaps me down ("you already have too many toys") Sound familiar?

PS, I'm trying to talk her into an Exige S. Wish me luck.
No I can't afford them so I work on them to get my kicks:D there is only 3 of these up here that I know of this one came from washington it was owned by someone who live on 1 micosoft way. the owner now here in Alaska is in the pokie for a little payback somthing like 3 to 5 years he was the president of a company called AIH ( Alaska industrial hardware ) so I guess I won't be getting any free Loooooooooooong test drives for some time. but I do see about 3 308s from time to time so that will have to do.:D

NC Rover
12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
You might look around nearby airports for someone to beat the panel out, especially if there's an antique flying community where you live. Those guys are at home with aluminum alloy.

H mmm...I may have to keep this in mind as there is a antique flying community here. I'll definitly ask around.

NC Rover
12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
One thing is for certain, your truck is too nice to leave it as-is.
Since the truck is so drastically modified, I don't think the decision to replace vs. repair is an issue, as far as maintaining originality is concerned. In the end, I think you;ll find, that given that you can find a good panel man, he will be able to do his magic way faster than replacing the panel.

I am definitly not leaving it as-is. I would fix it myself if i knew how. I believe I may have someone in town that can do some good stuff with aluminum. I really don't want to replace an entire panel and if someone can get as close to how it was without bondo, that would be quite nice.

Its definitly a hybrid but I like the fact that the previous owner kept the original outer look. Anyway, thanks again for all the positive feedback and suggestions! :thumb-up:

NC Rover
12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey JimME

No offense intended. Rovers are some of my favorites as well. The point I was trying to make was that if he intends to off road the truck, he'll probably bend that same spot again (we've all done it). So he might not want to go through the hassle and expense of finding the right guy, that can do the right repair. Instead he might be better off just pulling it out and leaving it, or taking the replacement panel route.

Cheers,

It may see some light off-roading here and there..but nothing serious. I usually keep really good care of my vehicles and I want this one to last for quite some time. I'm going to try to find someone who can work with aluminum and no bondo. I'm sure I can find someone to do a good job.