PDA

View Full Version : no clutch

yank
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
So I got my Rover running today, I was planning to get it in the garage.
The problem is the clutch wont work. The res is full. There is a small amount of fluid leaking above the pedal if I pump it.
Is it the master cylinder or should I be looking at something else.
The truck has not moved under its own power in a couple years. But worked when parked.
Today was the first time I had it running, I had a good laugh when the wipers started going.

friar mike
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
So I got my Rover running today, I was planning to get it in the garage.
The problem is the clutch wont work. The res is full. There is a small amount of fluid leaking above the pedal if I pump it.
Is it the master cylinder or should I be looking at something else.
The truck has not moved under its own power in a couple years. But worked when parked.
Today was the first time I had it running, I had a good laugh when the wipers started going.
Need a little more info. does it grind when you try to put it into gear? or when you let it out it doesn't move.

Alaska Mike
12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Have someone look at the slave cylinder when you press the pedal and see if the arm is moving at all. They can also look for hydraulic leaks in that area.

yank
12-31-2007, 10:28 PM
It grinds when I try to put it in gear.

friar mike
01-01-2008, 12:15 AM
It grinds when I try to put it in gear.
so the clutch is not disengaging and the master is leaking so it sounds like you need to rebuild or replace the master and you will want to check the slave cyl out too.

junkyddog11
01-01-2008, 05:32 AM
The clutch disk may be rusted onto the flywheel.

I've had one in the shop that was so bad after just 4 months sitting that we had to remove it (the clutch) to get everything working again

yank
01-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Is there any easy way to see if its stuck to the flywheel?

I Leak Oil
01-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Is there any easy way to see if its stuck to the flywheel?

Follow the above suggestion to have someone watch the slave cylinder action. If this is funcioning properly then you can be 95% sure the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Remote chance it could be the throwout mechanism in the bell housing but most likely a stuck clutch. If the MC is weeping then plan on dealing with that too.
A series truck doesn't like to sit, especially for a couple years so plan on having to fix or service much of the hydraulic system components.
Jason T.

Terrys
01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Frozen clutch plate is very likely, especially if the truck was stored in a damp environment. It's not unique to Land Rovers either. If you can confirm that the slave is working and operating the pressure plate, have someone sit in the truck depressing the pedal, while others rock the truck back and forth with the gearbox in 2nd or 3rd. Oftentimes, this is enough to break it free of the flywheel (or pressure plate, which ever it's stuck to) It's also pretty likely that if the disc has been frozen to one or both surfaces, pieces of the disc will tear off, being still adhered to the surface it was frozen to. It may only be a small amount of friction material and it will eventually get flung off, but anymore than a little bit and you can figure the disc is eventually going to disintergrate.

yank
01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the help.

friar mike
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
boy it must be wet back east rusted clutchs are so rare up here I may have one or two in my 30 plus years of work on cars. but there are things that happen to cars up here that don't hardly happen there.

LandRoverRo
01-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Still on the subject of clutches. If, after removing the slave cylinder on my SIII I can grab the push rod and jiggle it around a whole bunch, is that a sign that the fork and/or pivot are broke? Just trying to make sure before I remove the tfer case and box.

Tks.

yank
01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok I had a chance to look into my clutch problems and I am A little confused.
I cant find anything on the slave cylinder that I could see move. It just plugs into the side of the housing.
Is there something I'm missing?