PDA

View Full Version : 109 tub and rivets

PH4
01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Need to replace rivets on tub of 109 IIA 1962 tub and tub cappings. Anyone know what size and type I need to use? Also where to buy decent rivet tool and rivets? Any and all advice appreciated.

AAXD
01-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Not sure on the size, the style is AN470 though. I'm just guessing but I'd say it might be a 5-4 or 5-5, the first # is read in 1/32" and the second is read in 1/16". AN470A is a softer rivet while AN470AD is a bit harder, most likely you'll want an AN470A. Most aircraft parts suppliers carry rivets and tools to buck them with. You can use a handheld rivet squeezer or a rivet gun and bucking bar.

PH4
01-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Are rivets hard to install? Also, what is best way to get rid of old rivets? Drill out?

jp-
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Are rivets hard to install? Also, what is best way to get rid of old rivets? Drill out?

I use these guys:

http://www.bigflatsrivet.com/install.html

They have all the tools and rivets.

Old rivets can be removed in two ways. Drill out and then use a screwdriver to lightly tap off the remaining head, or grind off the back side of the rivet and use a punch to drive the head out.

If you drill, you will need to drill straight, or risk enlarging the rivet hole which is not good.

I just ground off the backs and hammered the old ones out. Just be careful not to grind too deep, into your inner panels.

New rivets can easily be set by hand by holding pressure on the rivet head with a special rivet head shaped tool and then hammering the back of the rivet into a mushroom shape. There is no need for automatic tools.

jp-
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Disregard the info on heating the rivet, that doesn't apply to the aluminum.

The rivet size is 3/16" Round Head. Measure your panels and determine the length you need.

AAXD
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
For removing rivets, the easiest way is to centerpunch a hole in the dead center, then drill out a bit at a time until you can break the head off the rivet. Use the next smaller size of drill bit than the rivet diameter and if you do it correctly the head should come off on the drill bit, then just tap the bucktail out. Make sure you are drilling straight, if you mess up and enlarge the rivet hole, you can get half sized rivets, though they are a bit pricier. Installing them is pretty easy, I'd reccomend practicing by riveting 2 pieces of aluminum together first. It is best to have a helper and wear hearing proctection if you're using a rivet gun and bucking bar. Here's a link that shows how the rivet should look and what size to choose.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w06.htm