PDA

View Full Version : Do your young kids ride in...

Roverdog
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
your series?If so any pics?My little girl is almost 1 already!I'd like to bring her in it this year,any advice?:)

greenmeanie
01-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Yup,
My 18 month old son son has ridden in my 88 since he was 3 months old. I have fitted the 3 point inertia seat belts so his seats just slot into the front seat per the instructions that come with the seats. No airbag so no problem. Of all the vehicles we have he loves riding in the SIIA the most. He likes being able to look out properly and also observe dad working all the levers.

I am considering something in the rear so the entire family can ride along. I am currently thinking along the lines of a jeep rear bench seat in the back as discussed in one of the previous threads. Due to the seat belt situation I would keep my son up front and my wife can sit in the back with the dog's sticky breath in her ear. Has anyone managed to sort out 3-point inertia belts for a rear mount yet?

As funds permit I am thinking of rock sliders to improve the side impact protection of the truck as it is almost non existant right now.

Cheers
Gregor

friar mike
01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Heres how my 5 year old rolls.:thumb-up: its as close as I can get right now for a kid.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/friarmike/CIMG1050.jpg

Firemanshort
01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I have three point seat belts - standard fit - in the fron of my Stage One. My daughter's seat fits ok. I have to move it as far forward as possible to get some back lean to the seat back to put the seat in a somewhat comfortable position for her.

Ditto above comments. My daughter loves riding up front with Daddy in Daddy's old truck.

I am also looking into the sliders for the obvious reasons and the side impact protection.

I have a Jeep tumble seat installed in the rear. I just have lap belts back there and my wife enjoys sharing the rear seat with our beagle on long trips. I have not figured out a clean way to fit three point belts in the rear - especially as I run a soft top.

Momo
01-03-2008, 06:39 PM
My three year old girl loves riding shotgun in the 109. I have deluxe highback seats and lap belts- the belt cinches the car seat down very securely. She's almost outgrown it though, so I'll be searching for a booster.

I run a Tuffy console so no center seat- but it may have to come out so Mom can tag along...

EASTTNROVER
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
My three year old loves "Ruby"... especially with the soft top in summer, we take the doors off and everything. I let her paint the rear door and the lift gate, she really loved that. We spend most of the summer riding around together, just want to get a good roll bar. I got rock sliders mounted real well for a little side protection.

chester rides again
01-03-2008, 09:59 PM
my 5 and 7 year old ride around in the front seat. nothing better than having one sit next to me and help me shift. outside of the nighborhood i only take one at a time in the booster seat with the 3-point belt.

i'm looking at the jeep rear seat as well, but am disappointed that we all dont have the option of a 3 point rear seat belt.

i remember rolling around in the back section of our station wagon in the late 70's as mom took the corners through raleigh, nc.

scott
01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
mine are 16, 16 & 20. whenever they ride and i catch someone eyeballing my iia, i tell the kids that they wish they were us. the kids typically respond with "no dad, they're wonder what it is"

mom limited me to just one at a time cause i only had 2 seats and 2 seat belts. now i've the middle seat and 2 rear jumps seats. i just need to get 5 more seat belts and it will rival her lr3, ...in seats anyway

EASTTNROVER
01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
my 5 and 7 year old ride around in the front seat. nothing better than having one sit next to me and help me shift. outside of the nighborhood i only take one at a time in the booster seat with the 3-point belt.

i'm looking at the jeep rear seat as well, but am disappointed that we all dont have the option of a 3 point rear seat belt.

i remember rolling around in the back section of our station wagon in the late 70's as mom took the corners through raleigh, nc.

I have a jeep cj seat in my tub, its great for the two kids. I am going to get a fume curtain and just run canvas now, so I will sell it if anyone wants it. $50 plus shippin, probably close to the price :(

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I know an enthusiast in CT who put in a child seat and belts into his Series III to transport his then-young son. The boy wouldn't travel any other way. He even insisted on having his own keys to the Rover!

Jeff

S11A
01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Check out the Exmoor trim Lock and Fold ones - they are rated for baby/child seats. Their web site won't let me copy and paste a direct URL, but if you go to the home page and click on Load Area Seats under Series II/III, these are the first option there.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/

Better put on the Depends before looking at the price, however...

thixon
01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Check out the Exmoor trim Lock and Fold ones - they are rated for baby/child seats. Their web site won't let me copy and paste a direct URL, but if you go to the home page and click on Load Area Seats under Series II/III, these are the first option there.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/

Better put on the Depends before looking at the price, however...

450.00 pound a seat. JEEEEZZZZZ. Can't put a price on safety though I guess.

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Never mind truck insurance. I'd insure those seats with the truck as an accessory.

For those that have jeep seats in the rear, do they face forward or rearward. Whilst contemplating my beer last night I was thinking that if the seat faced backwards it should be fairly simple to add an extra boss to the upper mounts, being careful to avoid them interfering with the front belt, maybe even use the lower mounts at the base of the bulkhead with a longer screw and jam nut for the stalks and then you are left to locate the real. I'm fairly sure that you could through bolt this on the bulkhead with a spreader plate on the reverse side.

For a seat I'd be looking at one of the more modern jeep rear benches with the headrests for the obvious safety reasons. Does anyone know any law preventing rear facing seats? It may also make them puke but hey - the truck hoses out.

Cheers
Gregor

thixon
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting.

I'm not aware of a law against them, and in fact, my audi has a rear facing removable seat for the cargo space. Some Merc wagons also have them.

A buddy of mine in college had an old Bronco. We used to spin the rear seat around so it would face backward. I once road a 300 mile trip as a passenger in the seat facing backward with the top off. It was actually pretty cool.

S11A
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The old Subaru Brat had them, but not sure if modern safety laws forbid them in an open vehicle (or with soft top). I tried to find a link to the Subaru Baja which was sort of a new version of the Brat, but couldn't find anything on the rear facing seats in the back.

Anyway, I think I saw a minivan commercial that showed the middle seats rotated around to face the 3rd row seats, with a table in the middle and the kids playing cards...

chester rides again
01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
these seats combined with a custom made seat box or the one from tuffy would be a sweet setup.

http://bestop.com/index.php?s=70 if it only came with the 3-point seat belts

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/021.html i have a pic of a custom made box that's not as fancey (or probably as expensive)

This is my spring purchase for when I get the soft top on the truck.

Jeff

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
That's the set I was thinking of. A rear facing mounting shouldn't be difficult.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got a pair of forward facing seats for the back that look very much like series seats. Found them on eBay.

Yet to mount them as I'm stuck on the seatbelt question. Although I'm sure it can be fabricated, I'll wait to mount the seats until I can figure something out.

I just keep thinking of scenes like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e_0pzcLkw

Of course personally I'd reconsider my teeshirt choice if I were filming myself in the car, it's still a good show of what can happen if the worst should happen.

Plan for the worst case and have fun untill it happens.